Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mruiz10 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Husband and mother-in-law
    My husband is overly attatched to his mother. He has to call her everyday if he doesn't she gets mad at him. He has to do what she wants him to because if he doesn't she will stop talking to him. We have two children together and he has an older daughter from a different relationship. This has really been annoying me in the past week. Am I over reacting? I think he is a little old to be acting like that. When he talks to her he baby talks and calls her mommy,mammita,mami. If I am not over reacting what could I do to make him realize that he needs to grow up a little bit? Also I don't have a problem is he wants to be close to his mom but please there has to be a limit.
    stace1704 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 09:22 AM
    There is a limit and I am going through exactly the same situation, my partner is always calling his mum and telling her stuff she doesn't need to know... my mother in law is a royal pain in the in the sense of she will talk to him about something and tells others but if I find out and question her about it she denys it and he does too.. when we were moving out she told him that if things go wrong my partner and my son can go and live there but I cant, fair enough but then when some one else she told this to replied with " if things go wrong then she'll go back to her mums with the baby" she replied "she can't do that because she tearing her family apart" (talking about me) when that was her intentions when she said I couldn't go back there..

Also every time we're in her area she makes an excuse for him to pop in, and he does

She bought tops for my son when she was on holiday and because she didn't see him wear these tops she TOLD my partner he has to put one of the tops on when we go round there

Every time she is on the phone to him she walks out the room and when his working and I go to a family members she gets the hump about it she seems to think she can control me as well... I don't think so!!
    stace1704 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 09:22 AM

I think it is a mother, son thing and I don't think there's nothing we can do about it
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 12:18 PM

Stay out of their relationship! That simple.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 01:20 AM
    Mummy, mamita, mumsy... hmm. I do get where you're coming from.

But, it's his relationship with her. Stay out of it. Leave the room when he's on the phone with her. It's up to him to change his relationship with his mum.Go bash the cat, vomit in the toilet or something (just jokin' about the cat).

Perhaps a silent arching of the eyebrows next time he starts the 'mamita' stuff might get the message across... try and see the humor in it - it is pretty funny.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 03:30 AM

I think it is bizarre for a grown man with three children to be calling his mummy every day, let alone the baby talk to her.

I would say that is an unhealthy relationship, that the two of them are so dependent on each other that the son reverts to being a child, and the mother expects it.

That being said, if that is the only weird thing he does and it doesn't affect his life with you in any way, then ask him to make the calls in another room where you, and your children, can't hear him.

I doubt that you can stop this unfortunately.

Maybe you can get on an extension, and ask mummy if she has time to iron his underwear.
    jiyapoodle Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2011, 08:01 AM
    I know this very well! It sucks! And both the parties know it irritates you! They want to show, you don't distance them. Kiddish.. childish.. and given a chance I would slap both on their cheeks. Immature fools..
    They think you are better in several aspects and this is their way show "you are not my end of the world".
    If you have to listen this, just show "I dont care, you fools.."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Mother-in-law treats my kids different [ 9 Answers ]

My mother-in-law treats my children different than she treats her bio grandchildren. I have been married to my husband for 9 years and together for 10 years and last christmas one of my sister in laws came up to me at a christmas party and asked " what was your daughters name again?"I thought that...

Mother In Law taking advantage of us [ 8 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I love each other very much and we have a wonderful little boy called Alex who is now three (I am 34 and she is 25). Her mum looked after Alex for well over a year as both of us worked. We paid her £300pcm for that as she had bus fares to pay for from her house to ours, which she...

My mother in law is driving me c [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone , I love my mother-in-law very much but... She is trying to change My wedding plans.Our ceremony was going to be in a chapel but now we our going to have it in the same location as the reception just because she said that we could save money now my dreamd of having...

Do I believe my husband or my sister in-law? [ 11 Answers ]

Recently, my sis in-law (she and I married the brothers) told me that my husband has slept with a hooker while he was on vacation a few years ago. Her comment caught me on a surprise. I went home and talked to my husband. I denied the rumor and asked me who told me. Of course, I did not tell him...

Ex mother in law.. What is she doing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey.. You might remember me from my last post.. It was about my ex sending all kinds of sings he misses me(Posting our picture as his Myspace default, as his msn messenger display, sending me romantic songs that say "i miss you", asking me for pictures of the 2 of us.. etc) and me being confused...

View more questions Search