Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeguest2 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Why do i get update failed - general error on my avg free 2011 win xp pro pc?
    When I try to update manually, I often get this warning. Otherwise the machine runs well. I wonder if it has something to do with my ZONE ALARM FREE firewall that I also have running along with Win XP Pro. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2011, 06:43 AM

I had this same setup and problem. After doing an extensive internet search, I concluded that AVG was the problem, so I removed it and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

Unfortunately, I was still having problems, and I determined that the problem was in ZoneAlarm instead. Therefore, I removed it and installed Comodo's firewall. During installation I made sure to NOT install the anti-virus (since I was using MSE). Now things are working fine, but I wonder if I could've kept AVG after all.

You might try replacing ZoneAlarm first.

Best of luck.
    WallyH
    joeguest2 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 10:23 AM
    http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=110317

Like I tried to say, this solution seems to work for me.
    My AVG updates properly now.
    I did not have to do anything to my ZoneAlarm installation, I just left it alone and it worked.
    I will post an update here if the problem ever returns.
    Good luck all.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joeguest2 View Post
    http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=110317

Like I tried to say, this solution seems to work for me.
    My AVG updates properly now.
    I did not have to do anything to my ZoneAlarm installation, I just left it alone and it worked.
    I will post an update here if the problem ever returns.
    Good luck all.
    I hope this does the trick. I too was able to get AVG updated a few times with some finagling, but grew frustrated that it wasn't able to update without my intervening. After the last failure (about a week ago), I had enough and uninstalled AVG.

So good luck!
    WallyH
    m_berg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 11:35 AM
    To fix - UPDATE FAILED - GENERAL ERROR on AVG FREE 2011 Win XP Pro

Start AVG
    Click Tools > Advanced Setting… > Update > Manage
    Click the “Delete temporary update files”
    Run “Update Now”
    m_berg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Comment on m_berg's post
    Start AVG
    Click Tools > Advanced Setting > Update > Manage
    Click the Delete temporary update files
    Run Update Now

Quotes did not translate
    GreatLakes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2011, 12:17 PM
    I got this message of General Error on my AVG Anti Virus 2011 as well. I tried to update a few times, I even rebooted the computer and deleted the temporary update files. Still the same error message. Looks like AVG Anti Virus 2011 is undergoing an unknown annoying error in their servers & software. I'm so glad I didn't pay them a dime lol Hopefully they'll fix this error really soon.
    slowlow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
    Comment on m_berg's post
    Unfortunately this did not do the trick for me.
    klierban Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 09:07 PM
    Start AVG
    Click Tools > Advanced Setting > Update > Manage
    Click the Delete temporary update files
    Run Update Now

Thanks this trick works for me ^^
    techyback Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2012, 05:11 AM
    I know this is an old thread, but as I just experienced this problem myself (June 2012, using AVG 2012) I thought I would help someone else out with the solution that worked for me.

• First, download the appropriate AVG Uninstaller from AVGs main site at:
    • http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
    • After you run the uninstaller, it will automatically reboot your PC, so ensure you have no other applications open.
    • When you return to Windows, reinstall AVG as normal and see if it now updates.

This worked for me first time after the above posted solutions failed for me.

Hope this information helps!
    filthysid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 05:41 AM
    Tnx m_berg... the soution worked... update and avg, both work well now... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find a missing file in avg update? [ 1 Answers ]

I have avg9.0 and I have updated the anti virus now it says I have a missing file in bin what do I do now need answer

Update KB968389 - failed again Vista on Laptop [ 5 Answers ]

Even after attempting to update without using updates. I have tried installing just by individual download, and goes through process but on restart says updates failed and reverting to previous. Then the same sorry process starts again. Any suggestions?

How to update AVG antivirus Update to computer,which is not connect with internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Computer (No.A) is connected with internet. So I can get the update automatically. But, Computer (No.B, and No.C ) is not connect with internet. But we use the flash Drive and 3 1/2 Floppy disk. Without antivirus software, No.B & C can get the virus. Already having the antivirus software...

Avira antivir Update connection failed [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I can't able to connect update. Whenever I update that time shows update failed. How cani connect to avira antivir auto update. Pl help me.. here I post my report 03.01.2009 08:29:01 - Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\ 03.01.2009...

Dual booting setup of Win Vista Ultimate 64-bit and Win XP Pro 32-bit? [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have Windows Ultimate OEM 64-bit version installed. I have 2 hard drives on my system. My 160GB SATA hard drive has Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed and running very well. (C) I have a second hard drive (80GB IDE) on my system which has backup files. I would like to install...

View more questions Search