Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mouzer Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jan 12, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Do I owe my parents' debt?
    My parents recently died, and I received mail and it told me my parents had to pay $73,210.34 and now I'm stuck with paying it!! I do not have this kind of money!! I really don't know what to do
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Ok, first sorry about your parents,

Next what is the 73 K for ?

Once people die, everything they have house, cars, money in the bank, become their estate, someone is put over their estate. The person over the estate pays all of the bills of the people who died, from this.

They may sell the cars, and the house and pay the bills, After all this money is gone if there is still bills they merely notify them that there is no more money in the estate and they will not be paid.

You as their child are not liable for any of their bills, unless you co-signed something.

So no you don't pay a cent on your parents bills, I notified dozens of companies after my dad died last year that they would not be getting any money, one still bills him ( but he is dead so they can sue him if they want, he won't show up in court)

Do not tell them you will pay, do not agree you owe them anything illegal collection agencies will try and fool people into paying things they don't have to
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 06:40 AM
    If the loans are in their name you don't personally owe it. But their estate does...
    qasamm Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2007, 07:28 PM
    It comes down to how the estate was handled. In most states assets are used to pay debt and then distributed to heirs. If everything they owned was simple transferred to you without proper probate (the process of distributing the estate) it can be subject to collection. Check with your state laws on this for the only answer that matters.
    fletchh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mouzer
    my parents recently died, and i recieved mail and it told me my parents had to pay $73,210.34 and now im stuck with paying it!!!!! i do not have this kind of money!!!!!!!!! i really dont know what to do
    Although estate laws vary from state to state, your parent's estate is responsible for the debt. If you are a co-signer on this debt, or if you co-own some property with them, you could be responsible. Whatever the estate does not pay, is not your responsibility.
    If there are complex issues involved as described above, your best bet is to hire an attorney familiar with estate laws and wills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased parents debt help ! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My mother passed away March of 2005 leaving an acre of land a mobile home (manufactured home) and some cash.My brother and I were named excitor of estate we did not want the mobile home the Creditor repo'd the home and auctioned it off not for the full amount of loan, now want me to...

Figuring out how much I owe [ 9 Answers ]

I moved this past June from Washington, DC to NYC. I am trying to figure out how much more in taxes I might have to pay, besides what is taken out of my paycheck biweekly. I am a single person with no dependents so I have the standard deductions for a single filer. The first half of the year, I...

Debt I don't owe [ 7 Answers ]

I am being harassed by a collection agency for money that I don't owe. I live in Canada and I was a customer for over 18 years to a well-known "club" that sells music and dvds. I always paid my bills. I was told that I owed them 6.80 (04/18/04) for a dvd. (Apparently, they figured I paid for...

Sick elderly parents need help with old credit card debt [ 9 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello there. This is my first question on this website. Hopefully someone is able to guide me. My father is 74 and very ill and my mother is 70 with cancer. They were keeping up on their credit card payments...

I owe to somebody [ 3 Answers ]

I was in moscow 7 years ago. I spent there 5 years. I owe to three of my friends and colleagues. Its been a long time since I had no contact with them as they have now moved to new places and I don't have any contact number and my numbers here have now been changed too so I don't know where they...

View more questions Search