Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lierantheprincess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 03:53 PM
    How do I make my old furniture look like an antique by only using paint?
    I have old furniture, and I want to make them look nice and antique like by painting them, I just don't know how to paint them or what colors to use! Do you know?:o
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Have you thought of stripping them of the paint, sanding them and then applying an antique finish to them? Or is that not possible? My Mom used to do that with the furniture she found at garage sales and castaways she would find. She turned an ugly desk and made it look pretty darn good.

Just an idea. I am sure other will have many great ideas to offer. Have fun!
    catablanca Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Ihave a cheap pine corner cabinet & I rubbed black shoe polish into any indents or crevices, then I applied diluted wood gel , then rubbing some off. I did this a few times each time less diluted than before. Then I polished it with furniture wax.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 01:50 PM
    You might want to try the following link:

How to Give Furniture an Antique Look - eHow.com
    vintagehelper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
    Stain the wood rather lighter or darker. I prefer darker but that's me. Us a darker color in the crevis and fade it out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is interacting with an antique mirror [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago I acquired an antique vanity. My cat acts very strangely toward the mirror part of the vanity. He will sit on the vanity and stare into the mirror, several times a day, for long periods. Often he has the same look as he would if he was looking out a window and seeing a bird or...

Antique Riding Mower? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: I bought an old Montgomery Wards riding mower at an auction the other day, but I don't know what kind it is, the name was painted over. It is a Model ZYJ 48A. Does anyone know anything about it?

How to make my furniture look old. [ 28 Answers ]

I've just painted some furniture that I had made of pine like a set of coffee and end tables, a jelly cabinet and a bench. I put two coats of paint on and I'm thinking I should have just put one and then sanded. The paint is a water based enamel and I'm wondering what the best method is to use. ...

Making furniture look old [ 3 Answers ]

I want to paint my bedroom furniture white and make it looked aged but I bought stuff at wal-mart to make it look crackled and I made a mess. What can I do to achieve an aged look on my furniture?

Antique headboard [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a headboard/footboard from a dealer, who only had two of the brackets. They are made to hook into the old board (single hook) and bolt onto a modern frame. I've attached a photo of the bracket. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Or know of a different bracket that has a...

View more questions Search