Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KevinPA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Old Credit Card Debt
    I have read that credit card debt can become uncollectable once the statue of limitations runs out. I have a few questions:

Is this true?

I have moved several times, so which state's law governs this? The one I live in now, or where I opened the account?

I do not have the details on my account activity. Is this something I can ask of the collection agencies to provide?

Once I know the debt is past the statue of limitations, how do I inform the collection agencies to go away?

Thanks.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
    You owe this money forever!

However, once the SOL runs out, they cannot use the court system to order you to pay it back.

If you have moved several times, do they know your new address?

Which state laws would govern it? Most likely the original one. Is that when you last made a payment on it? But who knows, your state might give them the option to sue in the state you are in.

In the US, its about 6 years in many states. Some differ though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

Credit Card Debt [ 5 Answers ]

I was checking my balance in my bank account & found out my bank account has a hold on it for credit card debt. I was not notified. What are my rights-Thanks

View more questions Search