Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsliou1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Part time resident or dual resident
    In May of 2006, my then fiancée (now wife) and I moved from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. She changed her residency to Pennsylvania, however because of my work in NJ, I continued to maintain my apartment and residency status in NJ. We got married in July and now we are planning to file our federal taxes jointly. I was wondering if we can even file our federal jointly since her W2 has her as a Pennsylvania resident and my W2 has me as a NJ resident. Furthermore, would we be able to file jointly for our state income taxes. I know I am considered a full resident by NJ, but will I need to file a Pennsylvania tax return and if so, am I a part time resident or dual resident. I still consider my permanent residency as NJ (my bank statements goes to NJ, along with most my mail.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2007, 06:14 AM
    You can file your federal return jointly; where you live is irrelevant.

You are a part-year resident of PA. You will file both NJ and PA tax returns. Each state is different on whether they let you file separately or jointly; some require joint returns if you file your federal return jointly, some do not.

In my opinion, you should file your PA return jointly and report all income earned while a PA resident. You will also file a NJ return and claim all income earned while in NJ. You can then claim a credit on the PA return for taxes paid to NJ while a resident of PA. That way, you do not get double-taxed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B from Oct'05: part of year resident? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm on H1B, my wife and son are on H4. We are in US (California) starting Oct 12, 2005. I have several questions: 1. I filed an extension of time. As I understand, after 5th of June I will pass substantial presence test (SPT) in 2006, and therefore can file 1040A for 2005 under...

Part time or Non-resident? Which state? [ 5 Answers ]

I filed an extension for 2005 taxes and they are due on the 15th (Yes I realize I really waited too long) I have a simple question, and am using taxcut and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so far. In 2005 I lived and worked in MA, Made wages, received a W-2 from these wages. In July, I quit...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Part year resident for MA : bank interests [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The instructions for form 1-NR/PY ( I am a Mass. Part-year resident) say on page 9: "Income: Lines 5 through 11, 24, 27 and 28 If you earned only a portion of the income you reported on your U.S. return while you were a Massachusetts legal resident, subtract from your U.S. income the...

View more questions Search