Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theprincess Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Can I revoke parental consent for marriage?
    I gave parental consent for my 16 year old to marry in Louisiana. They have not done so yet. Is there a way that I can revoke the consent before they marry?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 07:26 PM

I could not find that information in any Google search, so I advise you to call the court that you filed this with, and see for sure if it can be withdrawn.

I did notice though that a marriage license expires in 72 hours, and must be renewed, or the time limit waived.

Louisiana Marriage License Laws > LA Wedding Officiants

Applicants must be 18 years of age to obtain a marriage license without parental consent. If an applicant is under 18 years of age both parents must appear in person with applicant. If either applicant is under 16 years of age applicant and parents must appear before a juvenile judge for permission to marry and must present state ID or Drivers License before a marriage license can be issued. If one parent has sole custody certified documents must be presented showing sole custody. No temporary orders are acceptable.

A Louisiana marriage license is valid in any parish in Louisiana for a period of 30 days from issuance. There is a 72-hour waiting period between the time of issuance of the license and the ceremony. If the 72 hours have been exceeded you may apply for a 72 hour waiver which must be signed by a district Judge or Justice of the Peace in the parish in which the license is issued.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 07:11 AM

What type of timeline are we talking about here? As a parent so long as they weren't married yet you can revoke it (permission) at any time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 10:01 AM

In NY - where I am - the parental permission must be given with X days of the marriage. At one time it was 90 days. After 90 days the permission automatically expired. I cannot find this provision in Louisiana. Call the Courthouse and ask.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 12:07 PM

Have you called the court house where the permission was to be given ?

And why do you want to change ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you become emancipated without parental consent? [ 8 Answers ]

I am 16, live in South Dakota and am on the B honor roll at my high school. My dad has legal custody of me, but I live with my mom and her fiancé and have been for the past 3 years. I have a job and an alternative place to live with a friend. My mom and I do not get along. She smokes pot, pushes...

Parental consent [ 4 Answers ]

The biological father of my stepchildren refuses to sign the consent form to allow my wife to renew their american passports abroad and bring them back to the states. They are both u.s. citizens. What if anything can we do? They were never married and he doesn't pay child support or makes any...

Parental Consent Lip Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I am 17 years old and I'm aware that you need consent from a parent to get your lip pierced. My parents are fine with the piercing I want to get and even took me to the local piercing studio to get it but the studio told me they would not do that piercing for some reason (unknown to me or any other...

How old do you have to be to get a body piercing without parental consent? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old. For two years I've been asking my mom if it would be OK if I got my eye brow pierced. She wouldn't be paying for it, my Dad would. (they're divorced) But she's persistently said no, no and no. So, the final time I ask, I want it to go like this, "I really don't want to have to do...

Parental consent form [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I am 17 years of age and I live in California. I want to get married in Arizona. In Arizona all you need is a notarized parental consent form. But I don't need my parent present to get my marriage licenese. Would a consent form from California be valid in Arizona and where would I get a...

View more questions Search