Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smchenry2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Transfer of probation
    How long will it take to transfer my probation from Michigan to dallas Texas I was put on probation for 12 months on a larceny in building charge that was knock down to a entry without permission charge. The department of correction or my "probation officer" requested that I do 90 days in jail if I did not want to be on probation they already knew that I was talking about leaving the state anyway.the judge did not even consider doing that.he told me if I wanted to leave the state for work related issues like performing or award shows I would have to get permission to do so.(and yes my lawyer that I hired for the case really sucks)and the stupid probation officer supposly said that if all fees are paid off($700.00 dollars in just court cost no restitution fess). She would recommend early discharge of probation(is she lying). See the economy is very bad in Michigan right know so I think they may have a grudge against me for wanting to leave the state. I have 4 children and a wife my job is, I am a recording artist in the mist of signing a record contract and when I say a record contract I do mean it. This type of stupid stuff could either make or break my career what do you think...
    lostandnowfound Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jan 12, 2007, 10:53 AM
    If you meet all tems of condition you can try to get released early... if its not drug charges or a violent charge.. or if even your are not a repeat offender... you might get early release. I believe they have to go before the judge to do that. I only transferred from one county to another and that took 3 weeks... it may be worth you traveling back just to meet your PO until they get it transefered... make sure you tell them ahead of time so they don't try to knock you for leaving the state with out permission
    What kind of music do you perform?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 10:56 AM
    First it is not a matter of how long, but IF, they will even allow it.

Your probation officer will need to put in for that transfer and basically if they don't recommend it, most likely Michigan will not approve to allow you to leave.

And after Michigan approves you to leave, they have to send it to Texas and get their permission for you to go there. Next normally they will want you to provide a detailed job that you already have arranged when you get there, most likely TX will not want you to come if they believe you are going to be unemployed.

And yes this sort of stupid stuff, doing something criminal and getting arrested, will make or break your career, please remember to blame the person who really caused this, not your probation officer he is just doing his job.

And yes if you want to go to perform or to do a show out of state your probatoin officer has to OK it.

And yes once your money is paid, they can recommend it, it will be up to the judge to approve or not approve.

Government workers, not grudges, think of when you go to get your drivers license renewed, stand in this line, take that number, I am sorry you don't have the form signed , so you have to start in the back of the line.
    Probation can be a lot like that, if you do exact what they say, how they say it, and say yes sir or no sir to them you will normally get along wella and they may try and work with you. If you try and tell them they have to do something, they will be sure to not do it, if at all possible. * note some are better than others, but many are just what you expect from over worked underpaid governmemt employees
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smchenry2005
    (and yes my lawyer that i hired for the case really sucks).............this type of stupid stuff could either make or break my career what do you think.......
    Hello smchenry:

I think you're right.

You need to take charge of your life. If you hired a lawyer who sucks, who's fault is that? If you hire a recording engineer who sucks, who's fault is that?

You need some intervention. That's what lawyers do. It's YOUR job to find one who actually will.

excon
    smchenry2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 11:16 AM
    This is a misdemeanor charge and what is the worst case scenario 3-6 months I will have to do.
    If all fees are paid (which they will be on thusday) what to do know and is there a probation where you can still leave the state and report to your probation officer buy phone or mail (you know I hate even saying the word probation) (I am not a dam criminal) just I have done some really dum stuff.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2007, 11:44 AM
    is there a probation where you can still leave the state and report to your probation officer buy phone or mail (i am not a dam criminal).
    Hello again, smchenry:

Well, I am a damn criminal and there ain't no such probation.

excon
    lostandnowfound Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jan 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Yeah I am/was depending on how you look at it... but they do have a thing called unsupervised probation... its for lite crimes... My fisrt one was that.. I went once then I only had to do anyhting if I got in toruble... if it's a lite charge they might let you check back once and then transfer... have you asked them?
    SHAWANDA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 08:48 PM
    What is the estimated fee for probation transfer
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:08 AM
    Hello S:

You post should be moves shortly.

I don't think there IS a fee for a transfer. IF there is, it varies from department to department. Ask your PO.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 06:52 AM
    No, there are various agreements between states, on probation transfer, many are part of a network. I would assume fees would be local things
    (or something new) since in my years in the system I never heard of fees.
    But the system has been adding more costs and fees to help pay for lower budgets
    Bigg Q Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 01:27 AM
    how long will it take to transfer my probation from michigan to dallas texas i was put on probation for 12 months on a larceny in building charge that was knock down to a entry without permission charge. the department of correction or my "probation officer" requested that i do 90 days in jail if i did not want to be on probation they already knew that i was talking about leaving the state anyway.the judge did not even consider doing that.he told me if i wanted to leave the state for work related issues like performing or award shows i would have to get permission to do so.(and yes my lawyer that i hired for the case really sucks)and the stupid probation officer supposly said that if all fees are paid off($700.00 dollars in just court cost no restitution fess). she would recomend early discharge of probation(is she lying). see the economy is very bad in michigan right know so i think they may have a grudge against me for wanting to leave the state. i have 4 children and a wife my job is, I am a recording artist in the mist of signing a record contract and when i say a record contract i do mean it. this type of stupid stuff could either make or break my career what do you think.......
    If it is a misdemeanor Michigan don't transfer probation,however you can leave the state and move to another to start a new life without going to jail.If you come back you will go to jail
    yellowfinch1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
    how long will it take to transfer my probation from michigan to dallas texas i was put on probation for 12 months on a larceny in building charge that was knock down to a entry without permission charge. the department of correction or my "probation officer" requested that i do 90 days in jail if i did not want to be on probation they already knew that i was talking about leaving the state anyway.the judge did not even consider doing that.he told me if i wanted to leave the state for work related issues like performing or award shows i would have to get permission to do so.(and yes my lawyer that i hired for the case really sucks)and the stupid probation officer supposly said that if all fees are paid off($700.00 dollars in just court cost no restitution fess). she would recomend early discharge of probation(is she lying). see the economy is very bad in michigan right know so i think they may have a grudge against me for wanting to leave the state. i have 4 children and a wife my job is, I am a recording artist in the mist of signing a record contract and when i say a record contract i do mean it. this type of stupid stuff could either make or break my career what do you think.......
    It's alll about the dollars baby
    RakelE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Read your probation policy... actually READ IT. The first few lines should contain whether you can leave with / out permission. After your court fines/ costs are paid the probation officer and judge will most likely terminate probation. They do not want to have to pay for you to be on probation any more than you want to be on it. I am actually facing a revokation of probation due to unpaid fines -- on time... could do jail time. MAKE SURE TO PAY the fines. Overall advice - pay fines. Even try to get a small loan and pay them of. It will be worth it.
    justv Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
    Google Interstate Compact Committee. All probation and parole transfers go through this agency and all states have joined. When you request a transfer,(you should at the time submit a formal letter with the request stating family support in the new state, job, why, etc.) your PO should go online to the website for this procedure, fill out the form and have you sign it. Here's the problem... your PO will most likely stick your letter in your file and forget it. However, do your homework and after six weeks with no form or mention of your request, advise your PO that its stated in the compact committee's policies, which is law, that it should take no longer than 45 days for the new state to investigate your transfer. Again, your PO must submit the form, (I forgot the persons title) that person should verify compliance, violations, etc. and transmit the request via same website to the receiving state. The guessing game is the time your PO takes, the time for your state to contact the new state and that state has 45 days to investigate and no more. It's my understanding that a lot of states do not require more than a week to ten days. It depends on the size of the city or town and the attitude of all involved with your request. I had a BBBBBB for a PO in Dallas and all she would ever tell me that my request would take a very very long time. After six weeks I inquired and she said the same. I pulled out a certain page (I had printed on-line) with time allowance and how the request should be handled. Google and print. Knowledge is power. A receiving state cannot refuse you unless you are a child molester or a capitol muderer. The sending state decides whether you are in compliance and if you are... See Ya Later Alligator.

JustV
    justv Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2011, 05:42 PM
    I apologize, you must also have X amount of days remaining on your probation. I'm trying to transfer from TN to OK which would be a susequent state becaues I originally transferred from Dallas. They really do not like me because I have a tendency to file my own motions if my attorney does nothing. Hello! Seriously, Dallas water cooler chums really don't like defendants that are more currently knowledgeable of their job than they are or that you know what you are talking about. Judges, lawyers, prosecutors, law enforcement, DAs, whomever, you are nothing but low life to the majority of them.

JustV
    NBgnnngs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 10:31 AM
    What will it take to transfer the probation my daughter case from Michigan to Florida State, her charge s OWI (and it is her 1st affense. She has no way of finding work in Michigan and with her Home care associate's degree she will be able to find work in Florida.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Hello N:

Read this.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interstate Transfer of Probation [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 19 years old, living in NYC. He is on 10 years probation for a sexual offense. He was tried as a youthful offender, and is not required to register as a sex offender. He is employed full time and is in therapy in accordance with the terms of his probation. We are interested in...

H1 to L1 transfer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am travelling to US on H1B which is valid till 2008.I would required to be there in US for long term (six to one year or more). Does my current employer would apply for a transfer for my H1B to L1 or how it'll be or can I stay on my H1B. Please clarify.

Felony probation transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My younger sister would like to transfer her felony probation from Florida to South Carolina--she still owes the state of Florida fines, etc--does anyone know the requirements to transferring probation--is there a legal process, etc? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Probation transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I received probation.We had to accept a plea agreement and 2 felony 4's.All allegations of dangerous crimes against children have been lifted.Our 3 children live in Maryland with a relative.This relative doesn't want us to get our children back.We lost our infant son in March 1999.We...

Probation Transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My fiance' is in County Jail on misdemeanor drug charges. He is due to be released August 25 and has one year's probation after his release. The problem arises in the fact that I am in Kansas, where we live, and he has been told that he must serve his probation in Indiana. He has an established...

View more questions Search