Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ford460 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 05:24 PM
    I beam size to carry a 250 ton load. Its 5 feet long and the load is in the middle
    The 250 ton load is being applied to the center of a 2" thick plate 60" long and 48" wide by a hydraulic cylinder. The 2" plate has a 12" hole in the middle. I want to weld two I beams lengthwise along the 2" plate (one on each side) with bracing going across between the two I beams. The cylinder will set between the I beams.I would want no more than approx. . 250" of deflection. The I beams will be 60" long and the load will be a maximum of 250 tons. Thank You.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 12:47 PM

So what exactly is your question - required size of I Beams? You need to clarify a few things:

1. I don't understand the hole that's in the middle of the plate - does the hydraulic cylinder fit into this hole (that wouldn't make much sense)?

2. Clarify how the cylinder provides the load. Does it malke a point load to the plate? Where? Or is it a 4 foot-long cylinder laying on its side to span between the I beams, with 250 tons evenly distributed over the 4 feet?

3. Does the bracing between the I Beams carry any load of the plate, or are they there just to keep the I beams in place?

4. Is the 0,25" deflection to be measured at the center of the plate, or at the center of the I Beams?
    ford460 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 11:58 AM
    The 2" plate nis part of a support base for a casing jack which is used to pull pipe out or the ground. The hole is where the pipe comes up through the base. The hydraulic cylinder that is used to pull the pipe is actualy ba hollow cylinder that sits over the hole with a set of slips that sit on top. The pipe comes up through the hole, up through the cylinder and is grabed with the slips and is pulled as the cylinder is extended. The load is applied to the center of the plate over the diameter of the cylinder which is 21.5", so its mainly ba single point load in the center of the plate. The I beams are to support the 2" plate so that it won't bend under this load anf the bracing between the I beams is to keep them from bending sideways and also to support the plate across the 4' width of the 2" plate. The deflection will be measured at the middle of the plate where the cylinder sits.

Thanks.
    visu_indrakanti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 03:26 AM
    10" I Beam x 4Mtr Length span Height of lift 3Mtrs maximum load lifting capacity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

How to calculate wire rope size on the basis of load in ton [ 2 Answers ]

How to calculate wire rope diameter on the basis basis of metric ton

What's the proper beam size to replace a 15' 2x4 load bearing wall? [ 8 Answers ]

"I'm remodeling an apartment that was once a 2 story garage with a gambrel roof (barn style), with a 10ft wide dormer on one side of the roof. It was originally converted to an apartment back in the fifties. The upstairs is one large bedroom. with 4ft knee walls supporting the roof rafters. The...

View more questions Search