Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Moonbat #2
    Paul Hogan is going to sue the Australia government for loss of income over their failed prosecution for tax evasion

Paul Hogan wants to see heads roll in possible lawsuit against Australian Government | News.com.au

Perhaps he thinks there is a movie in it, just like Billy Connelly made money from "the man who sued God" or Michael Keyton from "the Castle". Strictly local fare.

This idiot really does think he is Crocodile Dundee and hot property, he hasn't learned that the successes of yesterday don't translate into hot property today. I say, Hoges, shut up and sit down
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2011, 03:58 AM
    Moonbat #2 sometimes it pays to lay low
    Paul Hogan is going to sue the Australia government for loss of income over their failed prosecution for tax evasion. Now the point is where there is smoke there is fire, you can't consult an international tax adviser with a bad reputation without expecting that someone will follow it up. The government has decided not to proceed, but Hoges isn't satisfied with a no bill, he wants something more.

Paul Hogan wants to see heads roll in possible lawsuit against Australian Government | News.com.au

Perhaps he thinks there is a movie in it, just like Billy Connelly made money from "the man who sued God" or Michael Keyton from "the Castle". Strictly local fare.

This idiot really does think he is Crocodile Dundee and hot property, he hasn't learned that the successes of yesterday don't translate into hot property today. I say, Hoges, shut up and sit down
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    ... he hasn't learned that the successes of yesterday don't translate into hot property today..
    Apparently you've missed all the musical reunion tours.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2011, 05:27 AM

The government conducted a witch hunt against him that probably cost him a bundle to defend ,besides the lost opportunities cited. I say he should go for it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 05:29 AM
    Tom,
    I agree!
    <seventh sign>
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The government conducted a witch hunt against him that probably cost him a bundle to defend ,besides the lost opportunities cited. I say he should go for it.
    Rubbish. Hogan has been a smart A$$ from the start. Back when he got started there were a lot of tax avoidence schemes being sold to high flyers, many of them involved offshore accounts and various ways of moving money around. Hogan's advisor was one such facilitator and has been charged with money laundering and defrauding the government. Some might think this is guilt by association, but Hogan was less than forthcoming about his affairs to the government. If he hadn't played secret men's business for years, it may not have cost him what it did. I don't doubt that an actor's revenues come from all over the place and are taxed in various countries, but Hogan has been has been moving around so residency is probably a little blurred.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2011, 03:01 PM

Clete,

You have no evidence to support your claims and neither does the ATO. Hence, the charges were dropped.
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2011, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell View Post
    Clete,

You have no evidence to support your claims and neither does the ATO. Hence, the charges were dropped.
    Which part of my claims are unsupported? Opportunity? Cash flow? Secretcy? Confusing array of transactions? Residency issues? The adviser being charged?

Was it a witch hunt, doubtful? A fishing expedition, maybe! The rule is follow the cash. Just a situation where an number of people had been introduced to avoidence schemes? Give me a break please? I'm an accountant. Avoidence isn't illegal but evasion is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moonbat #1 [ 9 Answers ]

A recent controversy has arisen, Gerry Harvey a billionaire retialer wants to tax overseas transactions to improve competition Avalanche of criticism directed at Gerry Harvey of Harvey Norman

View more questions Search