Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragster1090 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 01:13 PM
    How to lock multiple cells in excel
    I have a spread sheet where perminant information is in row a1, a2, a3 and a4 through columns k1, k2, k3 and k4, some of these cells are merged, I need to lock or protect these particular cells, can this be done?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 07:13 AM

The default status of all cells on a sheet is "locked" (i.e. protected). This means if you protect the sheet (Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet) then those cells will be locked, depending on the options you activate during the protecting of the sheet.

So, highlight all the cells from A4:K?? press CTRL-1 to open the cell formatting wizard, and use the Protection tab to unlock those cells.

Now, when you protect the sheet, A1:K4 will be locked, the rest will not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lock only filled up cells during saving [ 2 Answers ]

I wish to lock the cells in a particular sheet ("CMstr", see attachment) in which user has entered data and balance cells to be remained unlocked. The cells should get locked when the user saves the workbook with a Warning Message (like - to check the data entered is correct/ cells will be...

Merge cells in multiple fields in excel [ 2 Answers ]

How to merge multiple cell in excel file

Compare multiple cells [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Supporting Team, I am reconciling the spreadsheet and need to find out the mismatch between column C(X-VISITDT) and column F (Y-VISITDT), where the subject ID(Column A & D) and CPE Event (column B&E) are same. Could you please provide me the formula, which gives the mismatch between...

Counting multiple cells in Excel [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I wish to be able to count multiple cells which are not in a row or column adjacent to each other. If know you can use the IF formula to reference any cells you wish without them having to be in a range. How can I count cells specifying a criteria that has to be true which are not in a...

View more questions Search