Ask
    octavia4545 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Who can I file on my taxs as dependants
    Can I file my boy friends children on my tax return AS DEPENDANTS
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 09:53 AM

Do they have SSN's and does their mother claim them? Does your boyfriend on his.. Because you can't file joint married... and two people can't claim the same kids.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 10:21 AM
    For you to claim your boy friend's children as dependents on YOUR tax return, you must:

- Provide them a place to live for the ENTIRE year of 2010. If they lived with their mother or father for even a week, that disallows your claim on them.

- Provide more than HALF of their total support.

- Further, if they have part-time jobs, they cannot earn more than $3,650 for 2010.

- They cannot be a qualifying child for either the boy friend or the natural mother.

The crtieria for qualifying child can be found in chapter 3 of IRS Pub 17, which can be downloaded in PDF format from www.irs.gov.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 10:42 AM

You can claim the child dependent (as Qualifying Relative) only if the child lived with you all the year, and you provided more than half of your support.

Even if you are eligible to claim your child, this does not make you head of household and you do not get EIC as the child is not his qualifying child.
    The child can not be your dependent if the child is qualifying child of someone else. Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Over paid taxs [ 2 Answers ]

Can I up my dedutions if I over paid taxs so far this year

19 years old with 2 kids never worked is there any way I can file taxs [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 19 I have 2 kids I have no income never worked is there a way I can file taxs

View more questions Search