Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rupshaw0813 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 02:35 PM
    Excel 2003. Linking repeat accounts from one months report to the next months report.
    I use aging reports at work for accounts which I import into excel 2003 each month. A lot or most of these accounts are carried forward from last months report because they are still in aging again this month. I would like to link the individual accounts either by workbook or worksheet when they are a repeat from the previous month or months report to avoid having to research the account anew.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 05:26 AM

Let's see what you mean. Click GO ADVANCED and use the paperclip icon to post up a desensitized copy of your workbook.

Jan 6, 2011, 07:24 AM
    Comment on JBeaucaire's post
    Sorry I do not know what you mean by GO ADVANCED.
    Software Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 09:53 AM

It's a button below the "answer this question" box below, it takes you to a more advanced reply window with more controls.

Jan 7, 2011, 03:43 PM
    Comment on JBeaucaire's post
    I do not have the Go Advanced button. I do have 2 months desent. Attachments I can send but I don't see a path
    Software Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 07:08 AM

You can use the links in my signature below to email me your file via my website. Be sure to include a link to this thread in your email so I know where the file is coming from, I get a lot of emailed requests. I will watch for it...

Jan 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
    Boy I am really getting a complex.. When I click on your https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/members/jbeaucaire.html link I do not get to a place I can send an email for my attachment. Please help
    Software Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 12:20 PM

In my signature below, you should see a "Visit Jerry Beaucaire's Excel Macros and Files"... that's the link.

Jan 10, 2011, 03:43 PM

The email with the attachments was sent

Jan 11, 2011, 12:09 PM

JB did you get my email?
    Software Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 03:07 PM

Yes, I have the two files. There is nothing in them to show what you want to do.
    Software Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 02:57 AM

Quote Originally Posted by rupshaw013
    What I am trying to do is take what is under the Comment column on the Dec2010 attachment and move it to the Previous Notes column on the Jan2011 attachment if the Account ID is repeated from Dec2010 to Jan2011.
    Open both files, then put this formula in the January file, cell I2, then copy down:

=INDEX('[RU Aging Dec2010.xls]Enterprise'!$K:$K, MATCH($A2, '[RU Aging Dec2010.xls]Enterprise'!$A:$A, 0))

Jan 12, 2011, 08:20 AM
    This works great. I put the formula and updated the information on my production report and all my comments moved just like I wanted. You have been a great help.

I do get a warning to the left of my cell advising Formula Refers to Empty Cells even though it works so I don't know if that makes a difference.

For future reference so I can explore further what type of formula is this?

Thanks again you have been great
    Software Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 09:33 AM

INDEX/MATCH is the most powerful of the lookup functions (LOOKUP(), VLOOKUP(), HLOOKUP(), INDEX()). I use it pretty much for everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car "accident" : no police report with reqest for money 2 months later [ 10 Answers ]

I was at a stop light 2 months ago & rolled into a car in front of me. There was o major damage & the other driver agreed she would likely not file for anything (she was driving her dad's car). I gave her my information & we went separate ways with me not hearing anything. 2 months later her dad...

Can slumlord demanding last months sue or report to credit? [ 8 Answers ]

I lived in the basement of a private house for little over a year. It was def an illegal apartment, he never fixed anything, there was mold coming through the walls. I had floods he never helped with, a water bug and a rodent problem. I paid him in cash, no written or email lease ever, and...

Excel 2003 linking worksheets [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am not sure if I am in the right area but I need to ask about excel 2003. I have a simple question which I do believe there is an answer but I have tried various options to no avail. Does anyone know where I can ask expert advise about excel 2003. Many thanks for any advise given.:)

7 months on F1; 2 months on OPT; 3 months on H1B - what tax form should I Use? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, 1. I am Indian Citizen 2. I am single 3. I was in school from July 2005 to May 2007. I graduated from school in May 2007. 4. I started working from August 13, 2007. a) First on, OPT until September 30, 2007 b) then on H1B visa from October 1, 2007 to December 31, 2007 (Still working)...

Can I call in a police report for car hit in work parking lot months later? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My car was hit in work parking lot. Person who hit my car left a note. I called him and one of the guys from work took car to fix it. Guy fixing car was also working on engine. When I got the car back the dent in front fender had been pulled out, but, looked like crap. So now it is like 6...

View more questions Search