Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ras7seyoum Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 10:19 AM
    'limited or no connectivity' status for direct ethernet connection
    so I've got a dual 2.0ghz PPC PowerMac running OSX 10.5.8 that I'm trying to connect to an Aspire 5610 laptop running XP SP2 via of an ethernet direct connection. I'm able to get the XP machine to show up on my mac, but the transfer rate is ridiculously slow. The XP machine has a Broadcam 440x 10/100 integrated controller card-- I've been tinkering with the driver setting without success. So even though I can get the XP machine to show up under "network" on the mac, I'm still getting "limited or no conectivity" under connection status on the XP machine. "limited connectivity" sure is accurate-- it's taking over an hour to move less than 80MB. (?! )

any suggestions?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 5, 2011, 11:21 AM
    "Limited Connectivity" only indicates that you have local connectivity but not Internet access. That is expected behavior on a direct link like you have. The speed problem might be related to a duplex mismatch. Did you perhaps hardcode the speed/duplex on either of the machines? If one of them is hardcoded to say 100/Full and the other is set for Auto then the Auto side will negotiate to 100/Half and that would cause a performance problem. So you either configure both sides to be Auto speed/duplex or set both sides to be 100/Full.

That's a good place to start checking for now. Let us know what you find.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 11:23 AM

So your XP machine is connected to the router via ?what? Then your MAC is connected to the XP machine via ethernet.

Is this correct?

Jan 5, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Thanks, Cajalat.

After unplugging, reseating, and resetting, I'm not able to move data like you think you should over an ethernet connection.

So 2011 doesn't suck so much after all.

Jan 5, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Excellent. Glad it worked for you.

Jan 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Comment on ras7seyoum's post
    That was supposed to read "now able"///

Jan 5, 2011, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ras7seyoum View Post
    that was supposed to read "now able"///
    I knew what you meant :) no worries. So a curiosity question... did you want the one machine with internet access to also provide access to the internet to the machine that doesn't?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Direct Cable Connection using Ethernet ports. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home. I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But I have no clue as to what are the steps / procees I should follow to mak this connection happen. I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be...

Limited or no connectivity [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting limited or no connectivity error message on lan icon. These are solutions that I tried: Solution: a) - click on start-->run type cmd.Hit enter .ipconfig /release -> Enter - click on start-->run type cmd.Hit enter .Type ipconfig /renew -> Enter - click on start-->run type "...

Limited or no connectivity [ 1 Answers ]

One day internet (cable modem) works fine, next get this message in tray. Have two computers with router, other computer internet OK, changed ports as well as connecting directly to modem, still nothing. Renew IP does not work with similar reason. Please what next?

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

View more questions Search