Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    longjohn4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 07:48 PM
    My roof has a layer of ice building on the inside of the roof,I'm wondering why?
    Weeks.would love to here if this has happin to anyone.. I am new to this fourm...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 02:28 PM
    This is not uncommon in very cold environs. Moisture laden air from the house, e.g. bath vents that dump into the attic, pull down stairs etc. penetrate into the attic space, condenses and freezes. Lack of insulation or poor ventilation will also cause this. Make sure all bath vents are connected to an outside damper. Allowing ice and water to stay on the underside will rot the roof. How much insulation do you have? Is it wet?
    longjohn4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    This is not uncommon in very cold environs. Moisture laden air from the house, e.g.,bath vents that dump into the attic, pull down stairs etc., penetrate into the attic space, condenses and freezes. Lack of insulation or poor ventilation will also cause this. Make sure all bath vents are connected to an outside damper. Allowing ice and water to stay on the underside will rot the roof. How much insulation do you have? Is it wet?
    Thanks for your help.. I'm new to this site.. it has been about -8 for a couple weeks now.. my roof is well insulated,I went up there and pulled all thoughs styrofoam vents that vents into the soffits,the plywood was all blacken by these.I think it was too much insulation, I don't think these vents were working properly.. hopefully I caught this in time.. the roof is only a 15 years old,with a 40 shingle...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 10:01 AM
    Comment on longjohn4's post
    Any water vapor going into that temperature will freeze very quickly. Make sure you have good gable or soffit ventilation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condensation inside roof [ 0 Answers ]

I have condensation on the bituman type insilation inside my roof area only on one side. At the end which is brick there is condensation, can I cover with some sort of insulation or what should I do. This part of the house was originally built in th 1800

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

What causes ice damming/leaking roof [ 1 Answers ]

This is our second winter in our house. For this first time we have ice damming at two places on the roof. We had a slight thaw this past weekend (Feb. 1) and water leaked into our master bedroom ceiling and dripped into the room. What causes ice damming on roofs? We had insulation blown in to...

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

View more questions Search