Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VCaibaiosai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Rusted brass screw with flat screw head for bathtub spout
    Hi, I can't get the brass head screw off because the brass is so soft that the screwdriver twists inside the head. The screwdriver is a flat head one. I got one side off but the other just keeps slipping off. Any ideas on how to deal with this particular problem? I sprayed WD 40 on there but that brass screw seems pretty rusted. How am I going to get this off?

Violet
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 4, 2011, 06:35 PM

Brass never rusts, only iron. If it is permanently corroded in, the only way is to drill it out and then tap the hole for a larger diameter screw. I occasionally have had luck with broken screw extractors, but the exact problem and location dictate what type you have to use. I am not going to go into a long treatise on how to do all this as it is not the simplest job. If you don't have the tools or the know-how, you are going to have to call a professional.

If this is actually on a bathtub spout, you may just want to grab the spout with a pipe wrench or channelock pliers, turn the whole spout and tube out of the elbow in the wall and start from there. Of course if that spout tube is sweated in, you are completely out of luck. Someone who knows a little about plumbing maybe can look in through the access panel on the other side of the wall and see what type of spout you have and if that is possible.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 06:50 PM

Flat head slotted screw on a tub spout??

Most tub spouts are either screwed on to the stub out or are put on with a slip fit.

Show us a picture.

Is it possible that you mean a screw in the tub overflow cover plate?

Show us a picture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing a 16 year old tub spout that I can't get at the set screw. [ 1 Answers ]

There is a square hole on the underside of the spout closest to the tile wall but there is a white plastic piece blocking what I think might be the screw that needs to be undone to remove the spout. How do I get past this plastic piece? I can't seem to find any answer and need some help! Please...

Screw won't tighten on tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing a tub spout and the screw tightens while off the pipe but won't tighten once spout is placed over pipe - this is a non-threaded pipe with a spout that has the one screw (allen wrench)

My screw on bath spout just spins like the threads are stripped how do I get if off [ 3 Answers ]

When I turn my bath spout counter clockwise if just spins but does not come loose. Is there a way to get it off?

Rusted out holes for screw-in shower strainer [ 1 Answers ]

One screw will not screrw in the metal base that holds the strainer. The hole appears rusted and too big.

Screw-on spout removal [ 2 Answers ]

The diverter on our tub is failing. It diverts about 2/3 of the water so I want to Change the spout. It is a screw on type with copper supply line. As I tried to Unscrew the spout the copper supply line began to twist. I could see the pipe Deform. I stopped not wanting to break off the...

View more questions Search