Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ATenjum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Playing Cards
    You have a standard 52 card playing card deck. You then add 2 Jokers for a total of 54 cards and shuffle the deck. If you draw cards one by one, what is the probability that you draw the Queen of Hearts before you draw a Joker?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2011, 06:43 PM
    Pretty basic math. 1 queen of hearts in 54 cards=1/54. 2 jokers in 54 cards 2/54=1/27 2:1 jokers, 1/2:1 queen.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 06:04 AM

Are you replacing or not?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    are you replacing or not?
    I don't think it matters.

If not replacing, then all you need worry about are three cards - call them A, B and C. This question is equivalent to asking if you shuffle the deck what is the probability that card A comes before both B and C in the deck. That's 1/3.

If you are replacing, then the probability of getting card A on any one draw is 1/2 the probability of drawing either B or C. So the probability of getting A before B or C is (1/2)/(1+1/2) = 1/3.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 10:28 AM

It's true that it doesn't matter, I was asking to try and help some thought processes along :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reading cards using playing cards [ 3 Answers ]

I was tought to read cards using a regular deck of playing cards but its been a few years... any ways if anyone also knows this method I only use 7's through Aces but can't remember what 4 Jacks connected means ! i.e.. 3 queens is a fight - 3 kings good news brings- 3 jacks is a friend travels...

Playing Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Who invented Playing Cards... know about history?

Playing Cards Probability [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:If you are calculating the probability of getting an odd numbered card in a pack of 52 playing cards, would count ace as an odd number (instead of 1)?:confused:

Probability with deck of playing cards [ 2 Answers ]

From a standard 52-deck of cards, five cards are chosen. How many five card hands contains: a) five hearts b) five cards of the same suit c) two kings and three queens

View more questions Search