Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TeacherSCHARP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 04:49 PM
    Going to the bathroom A LOT!
    I am a Kindergarten teacher and have a five year old boy who says he needs to use the restroom very frequently. He has asked to go up to 12 times in a day. Sometimes more than once an hour he says he has to go and he can't wait. Well, I don't want accidents or accusations from parents that I won't allow him to go to the restroom. We goes as a class 3 times a day - once in the morning (8:30), before lunch at 10:20, and after recess at 11:30, and they are allowed to go as needed during snack time wich follows rest at 1:30. They are not allowed to go when I am teaching or giving directions for work or during rest time. (other classes are taking their turn at that time)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 04:52 PM

He may have a bladder infection. Or, he may be doing it to get out of class. Are teachers today allowed to ask the mother and talk with her about this?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 04:58 PM

I would talk to the parents about this, see what the child is like at home.

If he goes just as frequently at home then I would say it's time for a doctor visit to rule out anything medical.

A long time ago (when I was 20) I worked at a daycare center. We had one kindergarten kid that frequently used the bathroom. The parents actually approached me about the issue because the school he went to had voiced their concerns. A doctors appointment didn't yield anything, he was in perfect health. The parents talked to him and he didn't say a thing. Finally I decided to have a heart to heart with him.

It took a while for him to open up, but when he finally did he told me his story. Apparently, during pre-school, he had had an accident. The other kids were very cruel about it. They teased him, called him a baby, all the worst things that you can say to a child. After that he started going to the bathroom more often because he wanted to avoid having another accident.

Sadly this seemed to become a habit. He'd actually worry about it so much that he really did feel he needed to go even when he didn't.

I have no way of knowing if this is going on with the child in your class, but a meeting with the parents, ruling out anything medical, and then talking to the child would probably get to the bottom of this.

I hope it all works out.

Good luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2011, 04:35 AM

When is he asking to go? Is it during work time? Read aloud? Centers? Recess? Sometimes kids will "need" to go more often as a means of getting out of doing something else.

Certainly speak to the parents and find out if this is also common at home or if there is a medical concern that they have not made you aware of.
    LA816 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2011, 06:57 AM

Hi! I'm a K teacher too and actually have had the SAME issue. Notify the parents!! You can get a lot of info with talking with the parents. In my case, the parents see the same at home, have spoken with him and have spoken with the doctor about it (whom said he would probably outgrow this). If the parents are seeing the same thing, allow him to go to the bathroom during times you allow it. (My kids know they cannot use the bathroom in the middle of a lesson, unless it's an extreme emergency and they can't hold it) Keep whatever your class rule is in place for this child. In the case the parents don't see this behavior at home, then you need to speak with them on setting up a bathroom schedule in your class for him (3x a day). This way they are aware of what's going on and why you might be denying him to leave to use the restroom.
    Good Luck! :)
    twinsgirls Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 08:02 AM
    It's anybodies 4th Amendment Right.. To Deny a Child from the use of the Bathroom is considered as forms of Child Abuse...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The outlets on the master room bathroom and the bathroom on the 2nd floor has no pwr [ 1 Answers ]

The outlets on the master room bathroom and the bathroom on the 2nd floor has no pwr. This was verified with the use of a light indicator probes by checking the power on the outlets screws. The breakers were checked the same way, however there is power going to the breakers. One outlet that has the...

My bathroom tub gurgles when I have water draining from the bathroom sink.. [ 2 Answers ]

My bathroom tub gurgles when I have water draining from the bathroom sink.. In addition, I will occasionally get some black specks that will burp out of the sinks overflow drain hole.. Any suggestions on where to start looking to correct these problems?

A Lot of Water Leakage in Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Today I noticed that the toilet in the first bathroom was gurgling. I thought nothing of it but once I finished peeing I flushed and noticed that the water wasn't going down. So I got the plunger and started to try to fix it and lo and behold, about 2-4 inches of water was in the bathroom...

View more questions Search