Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queenniki88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 08:26 PM
    Can I sue the police?
    There was a incident where the police knew someone hit me but they didn't allow me to press charges because they claimed the person was scared. Although the person ran behind me as I was walking away from the argument and the person started beating on me and I was scared so I ran and called the police. I thought they had a weapon. Also, these police officers stalked me through my building on 3-4 different occasions. They asked and accused me of writing a threatening letter to someone but never showed me the alleged letter. They knew I didn't commit a crime but they interrogated me anyway all though they saw the footage before they spoke to me and they spoke to my witnesses. They also put me in jail for criminal trespass in which I beat that case because I was a tenant in the building that they said I trespassed in. They said I was a trespasser because I let a banned person in the building. As I was coming off the stairwell in my building they walked close to me and the stairwell so I had to squeeze passed them without touching them so they won't hurt me. They also kept jumping from behind a wall waving at me and saying peek a boo we see you, they kept saying hi kisa until I called 911 on them and it was other times I called 911 on them and filed complaints'.They also throw me in jail because I was angry and yelling at someone on footage but there was no audio.The person told them that I said I was going to kill the person and their dog.The police said they throw me in jail because I was angry on the footage.There were 3 witnesses to testify I din't say anything like that but they refused to interview my witnesses.My landlord also stalked me,paced back and forth behind me and kept walking up on me like she wanted to hit me but they let her press charges on me because they saw me in the footage yelling at her and telling her to get away from me.I also recorded her threatening to hurt me and they refused to take my complaint or listen to the tape.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 09:16 PM

Police don't usually arrest someone without a reason.

It sounds like you've had a few incidents with different people and the police have had to get involved.

Many times if there are repeat incidents involving different people, during different times, and there's one common denominator (in this case you) than the police will assume that the person causing the problems is the person that's the common link in all the incidents.

It's logic.

Can you sue? Sure. You can sue anyone you want. Will you win? Depends. Do you have any proof of your allegations? Was there any harm done to you? What damages did you incur and most importantly, were the police in the wrong?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 09:22 PM

I would say I see no case, police are allowed to lie to you about evidence, to try and get you to confess.

And if you wish to press charges and the police will not, or can not if they did not witness it, then most states have a procedure for this, where you either file in state court or you file a complaint directly with the DA.

Your next step if you believe you are being harassed, is to file a complaint with the zone commander or police chief in smaller areas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Police Harassment and how to sue the police department in East Dublin, GA 31027? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my friend have been harassed by the East Dublin Police for years. I was arrested in 2007 for a day and then I was release. I had a case where a young man stole from my Bank account and the police and the judge did not put this young man in prison. The young man is a hacker of the internet....

Can I sue the police department for defamation of character? [ 1 Answers ]

The police department put an ad in the local paper stating that I was wanted for murder and needed help finding me. They don't have a warrant and I never committed any murder. Yet my life is in ruin

Can you sue the police department for false information? [ 1 Answers ]

The police department told my family and the news paper that I was wanted for murder yet they never had a warrant I never committed murder

How do I sue police for slander and defamation? [ 1 Answers ]

6yrs ago I worked as a shuttle bus driver at a Gov site I was stop for going pass a checkpoint I the police ask for driving license they ran a make The police found that I had a misdemeanor charge in 1985 petty theft which was dismiss w/unsupervise probation ( stay out of trouble) case dismiss. I...

View more questions Search