Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queenniki88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 08:05 PM
    Can I sue my landlord?
    I'm not on a lease,after I won a previous eviction my landlord refused to renew my lease out of retailation.My landlord is in the process of evicting me for violating the lease.She and 2 police officers filed criminal trespass complaints on me for letting someone in my building that was on the ban list in which the ban list is in the lease.This is public low income government housing.I also got her on tape threatening my life.She also stalked me,walked up on me, and kept pacing back and forth behind me with a camera and witnesses in the room.The criminal trespass charge was dropped since I live in the building.Also, she filed a false charge against me after I recored her harassing me and pacing behind me and the same officers filed it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 11:03 AM

You want to sue her for what, exactly? Pacing? If the lease says tenants are not allowed to let certain people into the building and you did, then it seems to me that she can evict you. You say you're not "on a lease," - so are you a subletter? If so, then you are still bound by the same rules as the original leasor.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2011, 11:15 AM

In Virginia, if you aren't on a lease then you are considered a guest of a lessee and the landlord can ask you to leave. If you refuse, then you are considered to be tresspassing. In my experience most landlords don't care unless the person does something to harm the property (like letting in persons who have been banned) or cost them money (like destroying property, etc.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 11:18 AM

You have no basis for a law suit, the Landlord wants to evict you and is merely going above board to find you in violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue Landlord over Illegal apartment? [ 13 Answers ]

Ive been living in an illegal apartment for 3 months, this being the third month. It has been nothing but hell honestly, the landlord and her family are horrible, they're loud, they bang on the ceiling at us for WALKING but they have what sounds like a party downstairs all night and day and we lose...

TX landlord-tenent should we sue? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just bought a duplex. We live in one side and took over the lease for the other side. The three people who share the side have all moved out as of May and their lease goes through Aug 15. Two of the tenents have agreed to pay up their lease and if they do we have agreed to not...

Can I sue my landlord [ 2 Answers ]

I fell on my wooden steps their is no co on the place at all I was walking and the steps came out I fell I was houlding a 1 year old babby that is okbut I'm still in a lot of pain

Landlord to sue former attorney who was tenant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 family and had a tenant that wanted to break a lease. I sent a letter in writing that when I new tenant was found we could break the lease.It was winter in NE, so it took a while. Tenant moved out, and kept stuff in the house for a month, while they moved to another place. They moved out...

View more questions Search