Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arod1885 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 03:41 PM
    My job blamed me for stealing money, then they found out it wasn't me can I sue?
    It was my day off and my boss called me to come in to work cause they needed extra help. When I got there the DM told me to talk to him and he said to me that the night I closed the store that the depoist was missing and when he looked at the camera he said that I acted like I put the money in the safe but I didn't. And I swore up and down that I didn't steal any money so he looked into it a little more and found out that the other asst. manager came into the store while it was closed and stole the money! Now I was wondering if I can sue the my job because of this.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 03:53 PM

Hello a:

There are two parts to any lawsuit... Whether someone did you wrong, and how much it cost you... I think you can prove the employer did you wrong... I just don't think you have any damages.

Now, if you tried to get another job, and you DIDN'T because the new boss HEARD that you're a thief, the wages that you would have earned are your damages...

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    There are two parts to any lawsuit... Whether someone did you wrong, and how much it cost you... I think you can prove the employer did you wrong... I just don't think you have any damages.

Now, if you tried to get another job, and you DIDN'T because the new boss HEARD that you're a thief, the wages that you would have earned are your damages...
    I don't see either of these elements.
    • It's not clear that the manager actually accused OP (perhaps, I guess. OP says "he said that i acted like i put the money in the safe but i didnt. ".), or in any event without reasonable cause.
    • OP didn't say he/she was fired. Or lost time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2011, 06:28 PM

It sounds to me like there was a PRIVATE conversation where he thought you might have been guilty. Unless it went beyond that private conversation you have no case. Did you even lose your job? That's not clear.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 08:20 PM

If they did not fire you from your job, merely asked or questioned you ( or accused you) and then found out you did not do it, they is no case to sue,

As long as there is no damage or costs done, they can be stupid bosses all the want
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Jan 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
    I agree with the above stated, but would add if any of the managers made statements to others that you had stolen the money, be it other employers or other employees or anyone, then you may have a case for slander (defamation). There would need to be the false statement and publication (meaning it was said to others, any others in a factual way. Ie: joe stole the money--contrast with: the money was stolen, we are investigating Joe.) The damages part is assumed in a slander case, depending on the jurisdiction it might even be slander per se.

If you didn't lose your jopb over this, and they didn't publicly accuse you, I'd say you are likely out of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stealing $20 at my last day of my job [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys I am just wondering about if I will get a criminal record if I steal 20 dollars in ESSO on the last day of the job, My boss saw it on a video tape and he have proof that I stole that much. But the problem is that I am very pissed off because they are not giving me my last paycheck and my...

Money put into my account which turns out wasn't a lottery win [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I recently had a sum of £23k credit my account, on checking my e-mails I saw one from the national lottery saying that my ticket had won, on this note I was so excited I went and enjoyed the money, a few days later I couldn't believe my luck when it happened again! Another £23k and another...

Spouse caught stealing money [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently going through divorce and I finally received my wife's "Notice to Produce" documents and going through them I found that she has had a separate checking, saving and credit card account sent to her parents house that I was completely unaware of. The statements go back to 2006 it is...

American stealing money from a Canadian [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Canada. My friend invited her boyfriend from the States up here for the summer, and he ended up stealing a total of almost a thousand dollars from different people before taking off back home. He stole $300 from me. I am just wondering if I have any options? I know exactly where he...

Stealing money, theft under 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

Im a 19 year old student that was charged today with theft under 5000. I told a girl to take money and she put it in my sweater and it was all recorded on video survillence. I had a previous run in with the law for theft also, but the officer told me to do some community service hours. I'm in...

View more questions Search