Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erika_ann77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Teacher asked to Nanny by family in class
    Hi!
    I've been working at the same early childhood center for over two years. About one year ago, I began picking up a two girls before school. I wake them up, get them ready and we're off. The family pays me well for doing this every morning and it has been a nice supplement to my income. Now, the family has asked me to nanny for the two girls and is willing to pay me 10000 more a year than what I am making now. This is a hard offer to refuse as ECE teachers don't make much to begin with. I would absolutely LOVE this opportunity but I'm afraid it's unethical. I didn't pursue them but none the less, I don't want my employer to be upset. I am very valued at my work and would be leaving along with a family from my school. There is a waiting list to get into the school so I don't think the school would go broke, but I think that's beside the point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Erika
    symone91 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erika_ann77
    Hi!
    I've been working at the same early childhood center for over two years. About one year ago, I began picking up a two girls before school. I wake them up, get them ready and we're off. The family pays me well for doing this every morning and it has been a nice supplement to my income. Now, the family has asked me to nanny for the two girls and is willing to pay me 10000 more a year than what I am making now. This is a hard offer to refuse as ECE teachers don't make much to begin with. I would absolutely LOVE this opportunity but I'm afraid it's unethical. I didn't pursue them but none the less, I don't want my employer to be upset. I am very valued at my work and would be leaving along with a family from my school. There is a waiting list to get into the school so I don't think the school would go broke, but I think thats beside the point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Erika
    I know how you feel because I used to be a Preschool Teacher, but had to leave because the pay was awful. I loved the job and it was so rewarding, but I felt that I shouldn't have to struggle to live, after working with children all day. Personally, I would take the family up on their offer. You didn't solicit the offer, they came to you. Like you said, there are always children on a waiting list and they school definitely won't suffer. The slot will be filled in no time. You have to think about your financial well being and based on what Teachers are being paid, if you don't look out for yourself, no one else will.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 07:19 AM
    No this is just business, and it is how it is done, they want a Nanny, and they want someone with the exact qualities you have.

As a business person, I often make job offers to people in firms that compete with me, so I can get the best person,

This is a common business practice, esp in the US, and there is no ethics issues at least in the US,
    NYTeacher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erika_ann77
    Hi!
    I've been working at the same early childhood center for over two years. About one year ago, I began picking up a two girls before school. I wake them up, get them ready and we're off. The family pays me well for doing this every morning and it has been a nice supplement to my income. Now, the family has asked me to nanny for the two girls and is willing to pay me 10000 more a year than what I am making now. This is a hard offer to refuse as ECE teachers don't make much to begin with. I would absolutely LOVE this opportunity but I'm afraid it's unethical. I didn't pursue them but none the less, I don't want my employer to be upset. I am very valued at my work and would be leaving along with a family from my school. There is a waiting list to get into the school so I don't think the school would go broke, but I think thats beside the point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Erika

As a fellow ECE teacher I would have to say that you need to think of your own needs. ECE teachers, by nature, are giving and selfless. That's what makes them so great at what they do! But, you have to think of this opportunity from a different perspective... yes, you are valued by your employer, but, are they as concerned about losing you as you are about leaving them? If they truly need/want your services they will match what the family has offered you. If not, the school will carry on, they will find someone new and you will be on your way to making more money.

The only question I have, is this the direction you want to go in? Turning to a nanny position might make it harder to find a teaching position later on down the road. Schools will always have children, but this family that wants you will find a time when they no longer need your services because their children have grown. Also, will your future emplyer offer you health benefits?

It's a big switch and worth putting some thought into. However, I wouldn't take your current employer's feelings into account when your welfare is at stake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nanny Mcphee [ 7 Answers ]

I just saw the best little film I have seen in a long time. Nanny Mcphee, if you haven't seen it yet it is just excellent! Gather the kids around, make popcorn and sit back and enjoy. Angela Lansbury plays the wicked old aunt and she is a gasser! If you have seen it let me know what you think.:p

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Robot nanny movie? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find the name of this movie that I watched a long time ago. It was about a nanny who was a robot. She cared for a girl that was maybe named Tabitha or Agatha. But what I remember most of all was her dispensing orange juice from her fingertip. Maybe milk too... And I think at the...

View more questions Search