Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 3, 2011, 05:43 AM
    Is laser hair removal safe?
    Is a Med-Op laser safe for hair removal (for women)? Or are there risks, e.g. cancer or whatever? Any specific information regarding specific areas of the body?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 07:05 AM

Its safe... assuming the operator knows what they are doing.

There isn't any risk of cancer, but there is a risk of burning if its not properly calibrated to your skin type and tone. Not every skin type or hail color can be treated this way. It works best with lighter skin and darker hair color. Contrast is a good thing here. Olive skin tones and light blond hair is a problem as is dark skin and dark hair as the darker pigmentation conducts the heat generated by the laser and it's that heat the kills the hair follicles.

And yes... obviously skin on certain parts of ones body can be and is more sensitive than others.

You generally can't do anything in the general area of the eyes as the light can diffuse through the skin and still damage your eyes. They would inform you of this at your consultation depending on your area of treatment.
    Okuzo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 03:14 PM
    Laser hair removal can't cause cancer because it uses non-ionizing radiation. That means it doesn't have enough energy to damage your DNA.

However, it does have enough energy to burn your skin if the operator isn't careful. Ideally, the heat from the laser is supposed to be absorbed by the dark pigment of hair growing beneath the skin, but there have been cases reported of skin burning/scarring/discoloration. Those are the real dangers of laser hair removal, not cancer.

For more information, see Does Laser Hair Removal Cause Cancer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laser hair removal-hair getting darker? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have started treatments for laser hair removal by a board cert. Dr. I have had 2 treatments the 1st was great, I saw a decrease in hair growth for about 1 month. I just had my 2nd treatment about 7 days ago and ever since then the hair has not grown but it is there and very dark. Much...

Laser Hair Removal for dark skin [ 2 Answers ]

I'm medium brown asian... want to remove my facial hair permanently... my skin is sensitive... I've heard that laser hair removal is only for those people who have light skin with dark hairs... what can I do to remove my hairs... coz I'm afraid of doing threading on my face because it could give...

Laser hair removal [ 1 Answers ]

Well hi I have teeth braces and wants to have face laser hair removal does this affects braces by any means

View more questions Search