Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinytiger Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 01:38 AM
    Maintaining wells in 3rd world countries
    Hello.I was watching a program on the "doc channel".It was about organizations that installed desperatly needed wells, in 3rd world countries.It made me aware that, about 1,500 to 2,000 of these wells,are now totally disabled.I guess that everyone, is so happy when the wells are installed then,( sometimes within 3 days!)they cease to work anymore.Their's no one around, to keep these wells , up and running.The people are left ,where they were before & manpower and big $ is wasted.I wonder how this problem could be fixed.What could I do to help? Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this issue.Thank-you for reading.
    skywalker37829 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
    Hi there TinyTiger!

I was unfamiliar with this problem until recently when I had someone from an organization called Water4 come speak in my leadership class.

The sad truth is that you are correct. A typical well costs $10,000 to drill in these third world countries such as Africa, Haiti, etc. That cost is so high because it takes expensive equipment to drill the wells, trucks to hall the materials, manpower, and lots of other resources. The wells are a total blessing to the communities, but when they break down no one has the resources or knowledge to fix them. And, if it costs $10,000 to build, I can't imagine very many people are willing to fork over another couple thousand to fix the problem. So, those wells just sit there.

But there is hope! Water4, a nonprofit based in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, has developed a way to drill these water wells for only $1,000. Not only that, but they use local residents from the communities where they are drilling to do the work. After they drill the well, they leave all their materials behind and instruct the people how to use them. That way they not only have a well, but a way to make money by drilling wells for other communities! These wells are not nearly as complex as the big $10,000 ones, but they don't need to be. The link to donate money to Water4 is here - http://water4.org/how-to-help/

I think it's awesome you want to help, and you should spread the word to others that they can help too. The problem is that large companies like CauseLife and Compassion promote their big, expensive wells with good intentions, but not realizing the positive effects that could be gained from using the Water4 approach.

Hope that helps and I didn't bore you to death. I am giving a speech on this so I have done some research and have personally spoken to the man who founded Water4.

-skywalker37829

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the other countries is known as wheat basket of the world [ 0 Answers ]

What are the other countries is known as wheat basket of the world

Countries in the world [ 2 Answers ]

How many countries are in the world?

World Trip, which countries? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently come back from volunteering in Kenya and travelling to zanzibar. But now I am planning to do a world trip over a year end 2009 beginning 2010. Im not very knowledgeable on geography in terms of what there is to do/see in which countries. So I'm looking for some advice from...

Who manufactures laptops for use in 3rd world countries? [ 1 Answers ]

There is a fellow, whose name I have forgotten. He is building laptops for use in third-world countries with features such as hand-cranked chargers and spill-proof keyboards, better than the keybords most of us use. Who is this gentleman?

View more questions Search