Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Questions about Bacteriel Vaginosis...
    Okay so this is embarrassing but here goes... So I went to the doctors in August because I had a white discharge and a fishy odor. She diagnosed me with BV and gave me 1week worth of pills that I take twice a day. I took them as directed and immediately the odor went away but the discharge stayed. There was less of it but it was still there. So I still had the discharge and by November it was back, odor and all. I went to the doctor and this time she gave me 2 weeks worth. Same thing happened... odor gone ,discharge not!
    And now it is January and the odor has come back.

It is embarrassing and most importantly not healthy. I need to know what can be done to get rid off it. It never has gone completely away and I want to get rid of the odor most importantly. My husband and I are trying to conceive a baby right now and I am not sure what to do that would be a safe(but effective) treatment. I scheduled an appointment for next week but the doctor said "well it's very persistant so there's not much more we can do". That can't be true. It's not persistent as far as coming back againand again... it's never gone away. I had to get a pap both times. I can't keep doing that.

I had to read about it on the internet instead of being told by my doctor that this is a sexually transmitted infection. What does that mean? Can I not have Sex with my husband because it off sets my ph balance? I trully need some advice on how to prevent and treat this.

Thanks for your time
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Jan 12, 2007, 10:27 AM
    I'm no expert so wait for J_9 to confirm this, but try not to use perfumed soaps when washing around the area try one that is either ph balanced or soap free, make sure that you wear cotton underwear. A nurse once said that to try and disinfect your underwear wardrobe as that could also be part of the reasons it keeps coming back. Try to avoid douching (especially if you're trying to get pregnant) its not as beneficial as everyone thinks, avoid baths take showers instead. You should also make sure that your BV is completely eliminated before getting pregnant as I don't think it would be healthy for you and the baby. If your doctor refuses to help you further then get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion.
    Good luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Everything tamed said is on point here. I only want to add one thing.

Your husband needs to be treated too. It sounds as though you two are passing this back and forth.

A sexually transmitted infection (STI) means that you have given it to him, then you get the meds and get better, then he gives it back to you.

You should seek a second opinion on this and discuss having your husband placed on antibiotics also. Sometimes the man never has any symptoms, so he may not know he has it.

It is also possible that you are reacting to his sperm, this is another question you should ask your doctor. I do know a woman or 2 that have actually been allergic to their husband's sperm.

Please seek a second opinion.

Jan 12, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Your husband needs to be treated too. It sounds as though you two are passing this back and forth.

A sexually transmitted infection (STI) means that you have given it to him, then you get the meds and get better, then he gives it back to you.
    You know, I wanted to say that but I wasn't quite sure so I thought I'd just wait for you.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 11:09 AM
    You did GREAT tamed!! :D Please feel free to keep posting in the meds, I can use as much help here as I can get seeing that I go back to school on Tuesday.;)

Let me also say, if it is indeed bacterial vaginosis it is caused by the bacteria Gardnerella vaginalis. It is possible your physician is prescribing a medication that does not completely kill this bacteria, but puts it into a hibernation stage if you will. When you stop taking the meds the bacteria comes out of hibernation.

If you don't mind, what is the med you were on? I will try and look it up for you.

Jan 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
    You did GREAT tamed!!!:D Please feel free to keep posting in the meds, I can use as much help here as I can get seeing that I go back to school on Tuesday.;)
    No problem.

Jan 12, 2007, 01:15 PM

If you don't mind, what is the med you were on? I will try and look it up for you.

I think it was Tinidazole(sp?) 500mg. So when my husband goes to the dr he asks them to look for what? Does he just tell them what I have and what is going on with me?
    Also are there gels or something I can get at the store?

Thanks for the advice from both of you!:confused:
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
    How much do you weigh if I might ask. I want to make sure the dosage is correct

Jan 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
    119lbs.

Jan 16, 2007, 11:01 AM
    How does my husband carry it if it is a vaginal infection? Just curious. Would there be any symptoms that he might look for and can this effect him in any way besides just carrying it?

Thanks for your help!

Jan 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
    I'm not quite sure how it works but I can give you an example; you know sometimes when you have thrush and it keeps coming back doctors suggest that you treat yourself and your partner as well. Sometimes the guy can have it and not have any symptoms and some guys have symptoms but if he doesn't get treated it passes back to you as well. If he did display any symptoms I know mainly of itching but like I said some people just carry it.
    Hope that helps.

Jan 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Thanks!
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Jan 16, 2007, 12:13 PM
    I feel I am in the same situation right now. My discharge does not 'smell' but I still have a clear creamy discharge, but I have itching all along my 'nether' region.

I have been on an anitbiotic for a bacterial infection, I cannot remember the name, but the pharmacist and the p.a. said NOT to drink alcoholic beverages with it or it will make you extremely ill.

Well I finished my antibiotic and feel the itchyness is coming back. Also when my husband and I have sex I seem to get 'raw' down there and it will be soar for a day or two.
    What could be causing that? It is not that he is too big, it just feels like he is rubbing me raw.

Kind of an embarrassing subject. :rolleyes:

Jan 16, 2007, 12:22 PM
    I was not allowed to drink alcohol as well so it imight be the same meds that I was on. Although.. I have no itching. As far as feeling raw... Maybe you need to use lubrication during sex. I was advised to use a water based lubricate as to not increase the symptoms of my infection. Hope that helps. ;)
    Tricianator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
    I am currently undergoing treatment for BV. (Metrogel; inserted 2 times daily, morning and night for 5 days). This is my 5th about of BV in 6 years, and my first time using this method, the other times I have taken the pill Flaggyl. My womanly DR did not feel that my boyfriend needed to be treated. She said that the infection is hard for a man to get, and she feels that this treatment should clear the BV. My DR also encouraged me to limit my sugar intake (I consume way too much sugar) as sugar promotes the growth of bad bacteria. Yogurt with active live cultures and no added sugar as well as Vitamin D, help promote the growth of good bacteria. Herbs and supplements that boost the immune system are beneficial to combat infection as well.

I use Summer's Eve to wash my vaginal area (it is PH balanced and was recommended to me by a gynecologist 9 years ago after recurring yeast infections). Soap is bad for the vaginal flora. I read about some benefits to peroxide douching, but douching also has possible side effects, so that is a personal decision to make. I will probably decide to try that method if this infection persists. I hope this information is useful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Several Questions [ 2 Answers ]

I have serveral TV questions. 1) What was the name of the televison shows that paired siblings and they had to answer questions based on what their sibling would say and the winners got to play game where they would have to choose what 4 out of 6 toys their sibling would have chosen and if they...

Few questions [ 6 Answers ]

I live in NY and work as consultant in NJ. My employer (sponsorer) office is in NH. 1)Can I itemize deductions for commute expenses from my home in NY to work place (where I worked as consultant)? 2) My employer cut tax of NJ. Do I have to file NY tax return also? -Mukul

Various questions [ 1 Answers ]

1- if you watch a clock on a train that goes past you at a constant speed v, how do you see it turnning? 2- which of the following forces it is possible to shield against? a- electromagnetism b-gravity c-a and b d-just magnetism e-just the electrostatic force 3- the earth...

View more questions Search