Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chirodoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Organic chemistry
    How can 2-ethylcyclohexane be converted to 1-ethylcyclohexanol and 2-ethylcyclohexanol?
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Jan 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chirodoc
    How can 2-ethylcyclohexane be converted to 1-ethylcyclohexanol and 2-ethylcyclohexanol?
    Sorry, my organic is a bit rusty, and my references are boxed up

Are you sure it is not 2-ethylcyclohexEne? There are many ways to add water across a double bond to form an alcohol
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 09:42 PM
    as eluded to by the previous post, the trick is to introduce a double bond into the system.

not a lot you can add to a hydrocarbon... but you can halogenate with a free radical reaction like bromination or chlorination. Then you need to generate the c=c bond by elimination. Then you can add across the double bond by a few methods to get the OH in the right spot.

I won't go into details on the exact reagents, as this is something you should have in your notes and its work you need to do yourself to understand the class.

but the patten of taking a hydrocarbon, halogenating it, and doing elimination for the alkene is a common path in many organic classes... there's a lot you can do with alkenes, so being able to generate them is very useful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Question on structures in Organic Chemistry ! [ 2 Answers ]

3.52 mg of compound "A" reacts with red Phosphorous and Bromine to gine compound "B". Compound "B" on reaction with KCN fives "C" which on hydolysis gives "D". "D" is optically inactive. "D" on mild heating gives "E" & "F". "E" on further heating in presence of Soda Lime gived "F" & "G". Both "F"...

Organic Chemistry - Clemmensen reduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I REALLY REALLY need to know the mechanism for the Clemmensen Reduction of ketones/aldehydes using Zn(Hg) + HCl!? How do the electrons transfer to reduce ketones/aldehydes to alkanes? I have an exam soon! Your help will be much appreciated!

Organic Virgin Coconut Oil [ 2 Answers ]

It is suggested in Mark Trudeau's book to take a teaspoon of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil everyday for many health benefits. I know it is a saturated fat that I've always heard is NOT good to consume. My family physician has no information on this. Can anyone help me? Thank You!

Organic Skin Clearing Techniques [ 5 Answers ]

Does anybody have any advice about clearing up skin by organic ways, whether this be by something you eat or a topical treatment. Thanks in advance :)

Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

What is a common use for CaCO4?

View more questions Search