Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dumbest-Mistake Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Theft Under $5000
    Ok I live in toronto and me and my friend just a made a mistake by doing shoplifting or aka "theft under $5000" at the local zellers. I'm 16 years old and this if my first ofence. I have a court date on feb.28 with my friend too and I have yet to hire a lawyer. I'm so young I dunt want my life ruined so what should I do what should I expect . Please any help is appreciated
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Since this is your first offense, you may be only required to make restitution, pay a fine, and maybe some community service hours. Since you are a juvenile, those records are likely to be sealed when this is done. There are times where, after a year without any further incidents, the record is expunged.

But only your attorney can consul you best. You and your friend need to acquire representation, for your own security and guarding of your rights.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Canadian and under 18. You are going to be OK.

You will get a slap on the wrist, maybe a fine, maybe some community service.

I can't so 100% you won't get jail. But I would say 99.98% chance you will not get jail time.

Talk to your parents about this and get a lawyer.

Jan 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
    What's the worst sentence that could be given to me and the maximum fine given to me also how much can zellers charge me not in court
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest-Mistake
    What's the worst sentence that could be given to me and the maximum fine given to me also how much can zellers charge me not in court

Maximum prison sentence is 2 years.

However, it is very unlikely that you will get any prison time.

334. Except where otherwise provided by law, every one who commits theft
    (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, where the property stolen is a testamentary instrument or the value of what is stolen exceeds five thousand dollars; or
    (b) is guilty
    (I) of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or
    (ii) of an offence punishable on summary conviction,
    where the value of what is stolen does not exceed five thousand dollars.
    R.S. 1985, c. C-46, s. 334; R.S. 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 43; 1994, c. 44, s. 20.
    Criminal Code of Canada - Theft Sections

Jan 14, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Canadian and under 18. You are going to be ok.

You will get a slap on the wrist, maybe a fine, maybe some community service.

I can’t so 100% you won’t get jail. But I would say 99.98% chance you will not get jail time.

Talk to your parents about this and get a lawyer.
    How much sentences can I get or they can give as much things they can
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Did you read my post, Post #5?

The maximum is 2 years in jail.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are asking?
    iamthatonekid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Haha, me and my friend, we are 14, just got the same charge in zellers in tillsonburg ontario
    Lol we are going to court soon, and ill tell you what happens after unless you already had your court date? :S
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TGOBLE View Post
    Since this is your first offence your can get you into the diversion program. Diversion is an alternative without be sentenced or found guilty. There are conditions however upon completion the charges will be stayed or withdrawn.

Bring this to your lawyers attention

The OP asked this in November 2007 - the case is probably over with now.
    polo_fresh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
    I was arrested in Arkansas for theft and my bond was set at 2,280 and this is my first offense and I don't no what to do. Will I get any jail time.
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 04:00 PM

Possibly, yes. It depends on a lot of factors - previous record (not arrests), type and category of theft, how good your Attorney is, your age.
    abdiu13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Hi I am 20 and I was arrested in sears stealling an item under 5000 actually it was 89 dollars, I know it is stupid and I am kind of scared if its going to be in my records later on when I want to get a job.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 05:13 AM

Yes, it will unless you are eligible for diversion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 x7 [ 23 Answers ]

About a month ago I was charged with theft under $5000 times 7 (cause I had items from 7 stores). The store the caught me called the police because I had items from other stores besides there's, and the police gave me a court date and a fingerprint date (I have already gone to get fingerprinted),...

Theft over $5000 [ 7 Answers ]

Just wondering what the minimum sentence for theft over $5000 is. Thanks.

Theft under 5000.. [ 7 Answers ]

Last year, I was charged with theft under 5000. And just as usual I went to court , but the thing is that this was my first offence. So they were very easy with me, I had to do some diversion program and you I did that. When back to court and I was free too go. Some people told me that when I...

Theft Under 5000 [ 19 Answers ]

I am 21 yo and living in Ontario Canada. I have recently been arrested for theft. Here's what I did. I used to work at a pay day advance place, where they load up cards for the amount of money they are lending to you. I took a card for myself and loaded it from home($2000). Then...

Theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello 7 years ago I stole something and got caught... I was charged with theft under 5000 and I had to pay back the money, do community service and see a probation officer. I can't remember if this was a conviction or not, and whether I need a pardon... I was told by someone that I don't need a...

View more questions Search