Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redtm277 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Bad conduct discharge
    Is there any sight that tells a persons rights or lack there of ,after a bad conduct discharge,I got it when I was 19 ,admitted I was wrong and it was either admit it or they were going to fry me,id rather be free and a failure than locked up ,at that time. That was 17 years ago,Ive tried to get information on getting it upgraded ,They say they have no records of me serving in the Army ,is this possible?
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 11, 2007, 04:23 PM
    If you still have a copy of your DD214, that will serve as proof for them, or a copy of your discharge will help. What "type" of discharge you had is important. You can have a bad conduct discharge and they might have deemed it a "general, under honorable conditions" discharge or they could have called it "under other than honorable conditions". That phrasing will be important to know, to know your eligibility for benefits and what they will be.

You may want to start HERE if you do not have any of your records on you.

Good luck!!
    John1865 Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jan 12, 2007, 10:22 AM
    I assume you were convicted in a court martial. One can only get a BCD from a special or general court martial. Under other than honorable discharges are usually only given in lieu of a court martial. All other discharges are administrative, i.e. general under honorable conditions.

Your DD214 will say the characterization of your discharge, and a discharge code that will indicate the reason, i.e. drug abuse, etc.

Other than VA benefits, there is really no other limitations on rights for individuals receiving a BCD. Did you serve any confinement time? This could limit you getting a concealed handgun permit. Usually most states consider any sentence greater than 1-year as a felony conviction.

You should get a copy of your FBI criminal history record. Their website will detail how to get a copy. Very easy... you just go to your local police dept. get your fingerprints taken $10.00, and sent $18.00 with your fingerprint card to the FBI. If your FBI file comes up blank, than I wouldn't list any criminal history to anyone for any reason.

If you did in fact receive a BCD, I wouldn't list your military history when applying for jobs. Other than you, only the government can access this file. The military will not give out any information, and very few companies now days ask to look at your DD214. In addition, if you don't list your military history, they won't even know to ask.
    ricknis3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Stole 3.00 dollar item from zellers canada they sent me a bill for 500 dollars saying I have to pay all costs is this right
    ricknis3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 11:06 AM
    I stole a 3.00 item from zellers canada no charges laid but they sent me a bill for 500 hundred dollars saying I have to pay all costs for security costs
    gregba02 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Wait A Minute Their... hey If The Army Says They Don't Have Any Records Of You Serving The Freak It... you Just Got Off Scott Clean... I Would Try And Find Someone Who Could Do A Federal Background Check... and Oh Yeah Civilian Jobs And Most Government Jobs Only Go Back 10 Years So Screw It... I Got A Bcd Myself And Im Doing Pretty Damn Good Hell I Already Applied For Customs And Border Patrol And They Both Accepted Me... as Long As You Don't Have A Dishonorable Dischare... but Hey If The Army Says They Don't Have A Record For You Then Screwit Unless Your Trying To Get Benefits If Yur Trying Tro Get Benefits Your Local Va Can Help You Upgrade It... also I Know Someone Who Is Getting Their Discharge Upgraded By Simply Writing His Congressman It'll Help If He Or She Is On The Armed Services Committee...
    DWS1127 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redtm277
    Is there any sight that tells a persons rights or lack there of ,after a bad conduct discharge,i got it when i was 19 ,admitted i was wrong and it was either admit it or they was going to fry me,id rather be free and a failure than locked up ,at that time. That was 17 years ago,Ive tried to get information on getting it upgraded ,They say they have no records of me serving in the Army ,is this possible?
    If there is no record of it don't sweat the issue, you simply got a free walk..
    If you push things it could become a snowball rolling down hill effect...
    I knew a guy that got a BCD over seas and when he got home to out process there was no paperwork stating that was what he would receive he came out with an honorable and he has all his veterans benefits...
    ridgeswifey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by John1865 View Post
    I assume you were convicted in a court martial. One can only get a BCD from a special or general court martial. Under other than honorable discharges are usually only given in lieu of a court martial. All other discharges are administrative, i.e. general under honorable conditions.

Your DD214 will say the characterization of your discharge, and a discharge code that will indicate the reason, i.e. drug abuse, etc.

Other than VA benefits, there is really no other limitations on rights for individuals receiving a BCD. Did you serve any confinement time? This could limit you getting a concealed handgun permit. Usually most states consider any sentence greater than 1-year as a felony conviction.

You should get a copy of your FBI criminal history record. Their website will detail how to get a copy. Very easy...you just go to your local police dept., get your fingerprints taken $10.00, and sent $18.00 with your fingerprint card to the FBI. If your FBI file comes up blank, than I wouldn't list any criminal history to anyone for any reason.

If you did in fact receive a BCD, I wouldn't list your military history when applying for jobs. Other than you, only the government can access this file. The military will not give out any information, and very few companies now days ask to look at your DD214. In addition, if you don't list your military history, they won't even know to ask.
    I went through a General Court Martial and my military attonery told be the only court martial you can get a BCD through is general not a speacil.
    ladyj71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
    I was discharged in 2002 with a bad conduct discharge for disrespect toward an Officer, damage of vehicle of Chief, LT, Executive Officer, communicating threat to injure reputation of Chief & LT. In 2001, I received 30 days in the brig, reduction from E4 to E1. And loss of all benefits. Yes, I admit my actions and behavior was wrong but should I be punished for mistakes I made 9 yrs ago? I was trying to become a police officer, but because of my discharge I can't become a police officer. I have been trying to get my discharge changed to at least a general under honorable conditions. I feel that is unfair because what happened in the military has nothing to do with the person I am now. You have people doing drugs and going AWOL and they receive an other than honorable, general, or administrative discharge. The military is suppose to be zero tolerance but people that do drugs end up with admin separation and still entitled to benefits. I just don't get it.
    quincy14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
    I was also discharged from the Military, the details of which I still won't go into. It has troubled me for many years, though as I get older I understand that it really shouldn't. Now I am an experienced and highly competent computer expert. Never once have I been asked by a prospective employer about my military history. Even if they had I wouldn't have told them. Truth is, it's none of their damn business anyway (employers are people just like you or me, they're not entitled to ). The law determines what information can be accessed legally. If they want to access it, then they can pay an investigator to get whatever they legally are able to get. If they can't then they should just shut up. Looking back, I almost wish it had been a bad conduct discharge, since then I could proudly tell people that I told the military squarely to f**K off, because quite frankly that's what the military deserves. I don't live in America anymore, since I don't consider it fit for the purposes of raising a family. The only thing to be concerned of is if it is "legally" classifiable as a felony or crime. It is also important to understand that this is only a "US" thing. Telling an officer to f**K off is not a crime, but it's quite rude to the officer. In international law,that's no crime.

boomer1095 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 10:00 PM
    I got a BCD from a General Court Martial in 1992. I had several State Criminal Checks done and all came back clean - with no violations, misdemeanors or felonies. But on my own I did have an FBI Criminal Check done with fingerprinting and my GCM was on it but it is not classified as a felony, misdemeanor, etc. So unless you have your fingerprints sent to the FBI for a criminal check all should be fine. Also you can go on in life with a BCD.
    When filing out an application don't list the military... if they don't ask don't tell !
    boomer1095 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 10:02 PM
    I got a BCD from a General Court Martial in 1992. I had several State Criminal Checks done and all came back clean - with no violations, misdemeanors or felonies. But on my own I did have an FBI Criminal Check done with fingerprinting and my GCM was on it but it is not classified as a felony, misdemeanor, etc. So unless you have your fingerprints sent to the FBI for a criminal check all should be fine. Also you can go on in life with a BCD.
    When filing out an application don't list the military... if they don't ask don't tell !
    20 years ago for me - 90% of people can't remember yesterday so how are we to remember 20 years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search