Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Tattoos (sin?)
    The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question.

Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it?

I have thought about getting a couple before, and I thought of it again.

Thank you in advance!

Oh, and if I did get one it would be my boys name and date of birth on one arm. A religious cross on the other.

Joe
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Jan 11, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Well the only thing that I can remember is that the bible does say that our bodies are houses and temples of God. He created it and it is His. If you defile it, it is like defiling a place of God. But, I always understood this as abusing ourselves and our bodies through addictions (from sex to food to drugs) and other self-destructive behavior.
    So, I wouldn't call getting tattoos an abuse of the body... unless it is part of a self-destructive behavior. Do I make any sense?
    I hope someone with more expertise can tell you more!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Hi Joe,
    Check this link out.
    Tattoos and Religion

Personally, I feel there's is nothing wrong with a decent tattoo.

-Kae
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 03:18 PM
    I do not see anything wrong with a tattoo like you described. My pastor would disagree, saying a tattoo is defiling God's temple - your body. But one has to use common sense on this. If you are really in doubt, talk to your pastor.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Since I got a PM about this one, I will merely paste and copy my PM answer here:

Yes I read it and it appeared to be answered OK, and I had nothing really more to add.

Lev 19 ( I think) addresses it but it does in the context of cutting and tattoo for the dead, that was a custom in those day from pagan practice to mark your body as a help to move the person from this world to the next. Beyond that I don't know of tattoo for looks and fun like we do now.

And if you read all of that chapte you will see all sorts of things that are sins for that time and place.

So my feeling is that the mention in Lev is not related to what we do and call tattoos today, since it is not done for a religious purpose (normally)

I have nothing against them, 3 of my 5 sons have them ( one of my sons is 6 and better not have one)
    I almost got one while in the military and a little part of me still would like one.

I think they can be nice looking.

So my vote Not a Sin
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Jan 11, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Well since I do not believe, I do not sin;). I look at things from -is it moral?
    Hurts no other --so its moral. [ had to stick my 2 cents in lol]
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Thank you for your 2 cents. 3 cents more and I could buy a small candy. Lol
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Jan 11, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Jesushelper,
    Lol... where?! I didn't think you could get anything for a nickel anymore!
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 05:29 PM
    At the corner store. Don't ask me which one. It might be hard to find. Lol
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Jan 12, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Personally I think its fine to get a tat, when I was a christian I thought it was fine too. I mean as long as you don't put something evil on you. As a nonreligious person ill say I think you should do what you want. It is your body, you see it everyday and live with it. If you love your child or family or w/e that much gosh do what you want. And some of the things in the bible are more like guidelines :)
    Bairdh Posts: 21, Reputation: 9

Jan 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question.

Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it?

Thank you in advance!

Oh, and if I did get one it would be my boys name and date of birth on one arm. A religious cross on the other.

Joe
    hi, I can help you, in the book of leviticus it tells us not to get tattoos, but after Jesus was born he overcame the law with his Grace and therefore before Jesus was born it would have been a sin to get a tattoo, but not after Jesus came... so you can get tattoos and not be doing anything biblically wrong as long as they are not tatttoos symbolizing evil... if you have any more bible questions feel free to ask me... or you can ask Phoenix First Assembly 2006 if you like also... take care and may God Bless you... trust Jesus in all things
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Jan 13, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairdh
    hi, i can help you, in the book of leviticus it tells us not to get tattoos, but after Jesus was born he overcame the law with his Grace and therefore before Jesus was born it would have been a sin to get a tattoo, but not after Jesus came ... so you can get tattoos and not be doing anything biblically wrong as long as they are not tatttoos symbolizing evil..... if you have any more bible questions feel free to ask me.... or you can ask Phoenix First Assembly 2006 if you like also......take care and may God Bless you.... trust Jesus in all things
    It always makes me smile when folks say the Old Testament does not apply since Jesus`s coming. [ though it will be quoted right of the bat when it comes to gays]
    Lets look at what Jesus said about the Old Testament
    1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.
    2) "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)
    3) "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)
    4)Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” (Matthew 15:4-7)
    5) “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,. " (John 1:17).

6) “...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

So please point out where JESUS says to the old testament is void.
    Bairdh Posts: 21, Reputation: 9

Jan 13, 2007, 04:43 AM
    I never said it did not apply as a whole, I said that specific section in leviticus did not apply anymore, don't put words in my mouth, and things about gays are also in new testament, you don't have a ministry if your job is to tear people down, and putting words in their mouth is doing that
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jan 13, 2007, 11:33 AM

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Tattoos are permanent marks or designs made on the skin by puncturing it and filling the punctures with indelible ink. The practice is a desecration of the human body and should not be permitted, unless all that is involved is the placing of a blood type or an identification number in an obscure place.

YE are the children of the LORD your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead. (Deuternomy 14:1.)

The Hebrew word - gaw-dad' - translated as cut in English versions means to penetrate, to cut, and to cut into, which is the method of tattooing both in ancient times and today. (It also can mean to attack in a body, as with scimitars and scythes etc).

The reasons seem to be that the Israelites (the faithful, obedient ones) should distinguish themselves by not following after the fashions of their heathen neighbours.

Exodus 19.5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:

Psaloi 135.4 For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure.

Israel - the men, or people, of God were to be a people 'set apart,' which is to say, 'consecrated' to serving God. That such a distinction was held to persist in the NT Church might be seen in 1 Peter 2.9: But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Peculiar is not odd or weird, but distinct in habit, dress, behaviour and bodily adornment to the extent that no one would conmfuse them

Helpful?

M:)RGANITE

Jan 13, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    It always makes me smile when folks say the Old Testament does not apply since Jesus`s coming. [ though it will be quoted right of the bat when it comes to gays]
    1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.
    2) "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)
    3) "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)
    4)Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” (Matthew 15:4-7)
    5) “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

Well, Mr Savage, that's a whole nother question. My response to the question - were anyone to ask it - would be that ancient Israel had two table of law: one was the Godly moral law, and the second was the Mosaic Code.

Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the Mosiac Code (see the Book of Hebrews), but did not remove any responsibility from the faithful in regard to observing the Moral Law.

Sifting through the Book of Leviticus - the Priestly Holiness Code and Book of Rutual Deeds - and dividing strictly ritual acts from the interwoven moral requirements of the people of God pays dividends. It shows that while we do not have to slaughter anuimals any more, Chjrist being the ultimate and complete sacriofice of which anuimakls were bnut anticipatory types or models, we do have to be moral beings because God is Moral, and true worship consists of imitating the One worshipped. Therefore, as God is holy, we must also be holy. Etc.

If you get my drift.

M:)RGANITE
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jan 15, 2007, 09:14 PM

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Anything we do that stumbles another person into is a sin moving away from God via rejecting his Word or else via running from those who are supposed to be Christians is a sin. That includes tattoos.
    Romans 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink
    sexybeasty Posts: 112, Reputation: 16

Feb 20, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Ray, how do you stop being a Christian? Are you sure you were one before? Are you just out of fellowship? Are you still in touch with God but disenchanted with organized religion?The reason I ask, is true Christianity cannot leave a person's heart. Once the Holy Spirit enters the heart, there is no getting Him out. Please explore what I am asking and get back to me please. Blessings to you, sweetie.

Jesushelper, I think the tatoos you described sound sweet. I actually think God would be pleased. I did hear that some things listed in the Bible had to do with that day and age as FR Chuck stated. God is more concerned with your heart and your heart seems fine to me. Carry on my good brother!
    robynhgl Posts: 112, Reputation: 25

Feb 20, 2007, 12:01 PM
    My Tattoo:

יחוח

Can't size it right... it's God's Name.

Feb 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    5) “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

Far from declaring what he called the 'scripture' void, Jesus referred to it often. However, he does inform Christians that some of the old ritual requirements are kaput and that a higher law of the gospel is now in force.

Matthew uses the Hebrew scriptures to set out his case before Hebrews that Jesus is the mashiach, which he certainly would not do if the OT was consigned to the dustbin by Jesus. It is Jesus who said:

"Search the scriptures (Hebrew Scriptures, or The Old Testament), for in them ye think ye have eternal life, and they are they that testify of me."

It is necessary to separate the moral law and commandments in the OT from the Mosaic ritual laws that are there. It is the latter that is fulfilled in Jesus, but the former, as Paul repeatedly admonishes, remains in force and is required as essential of those who follow Christ..

"Love and do as you please," is Gnosticism not Christianity.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Feb 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
    My best friends nana, who we buried today (bless her soul!) always insisted tattoos are a pretty form of self harming. I think for some people she is right. However, I have three tattoos, and always got them for good things not bad, and I love them to this day.
    From a practical point of view, tattoos need to be done by a very good qualified certified artist, to reduce the risk of infection, and also to help prevent ending up with a dodgy tattoo (most of us have seen someone with one of those!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Unforgivable Sin? [ 68 Answers ]

I know there are many different nominations and beliefs and opinions about the subject of sin. So here goes. Have any of you heard about the UNFORGIVABLE SIN? If you have exactly what is this unforgivable sin. At the same time I thought all sin can be forgiven? What is your take? Joe

Original Sin [ 13 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone might have a theroy on Original Sin? There has been so much speculation over hundreds of years and I would like to hear what you think. Thanks:confused:

Removing tattoos [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, I want to know how tattoos are removed. Is it painfull?? Is it expensive??

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

Dog tattoos [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently taken in a lost Doxie. He has numbers tattooed on his tummy. Do you know what for?

View more questions Search