Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by intendedsighs
    Well, I'm a Messianic Jew, and in Jeish religion, it is unthinkable to get a tattoo. However, I dont feel that way. I have a tattoo on my back, and I would never think of removing it. I dont see anything wrong in getting a tattoo, because though it says in the bible to not pierce or mark the body, there are many customs that we do not follow anymore, including the sacrificing of animals.
    True, thank you for your personal opinions.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Apr 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
    I agree believers today are not under the Old Law. (regarding tatoos also- in Leviticus)
    But the fact that there was such a command -tatoos have to be considered.
    In a sense, tatooing & body piercings have do have to do with modesty. (1Tim. 2:9) which tells us that we are to dress modestly. Modesty means not drawing attention to oneself.

So, therefore I think tatoos & piercings should not be done in excess.
    Ok, I am ready for permanent eyeliner! ;)
    -radioactive- Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2007, 05:28 PM
    In the bible it says that when you do something bad to your body, you are defiling the temple of God. But in my opinion, nothing should be wrong with a tattoo as long as it isn't profanic. Like, if you have your sons D.O.B and name om your arm, I find nothing wrong with that. Actually it's kind of cute. But if you want to get a tattoo that has a naked girl dancing on your chest, I think that's disturbing and wrong. A tattoo has to be something that you'll love even as you get older.
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 07:58 PM
    True, but I was tought growing up that the cutoms that are soly mentioned in the old testament (and not at all mentioned in the New) were to be done away with at the death of Christ, but those mentioned after His death were still to be followed. That's why my family still only eat kosher and stuff like that. So if you want a testimate answer, search the new testament is my advise, but like I said, I don't see anythingwrong with it...
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
    In the new testament, it says that it is not what goes in your mouth that defiles you but what comes out of it. Meaning you can eat anything as long as your thankful for it.
    intendedsighs Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Apr 23, 2007, 05:04 AM
    No that's not what it means. Does God just up and change his mind? No, the kosher laws in Lev are still supposed to be followed, but becase of some misunderstanding with the New Testament, people don't believe that. Does this now mean that we do not have to follow the 10 Commandments? They were in the Old Testament, not the New. SO I guess we're allowed to dishonor our parents, and kill, and commit adultery, and hate people, etc. No it doesn't. We are still required to follow the 10 commandments, regardless of whether they were in the Old or the New Testament. Same with the kosher laws. The first about the defiling your body means the same thing. If you were to get tattoos of skulls and demons and naked people and that kind of stuff that DOES defile the human race, of course it's not right, but if you're doing it in memory of someone or something or something that means a lot to you, then I believe that is fine. My tattoo is of a palm tree. The meaning to me? My name means palmtree, and the definition of palm tree is this:

Palm tree

(Heb. Tamar), the date-palm characteristic of Palestine. It is described as "flourishing" (Ps. 92:12), tall (Cant. 7:7), "upright" (Jer. 10:5). Its branches are a symbol of victory (Rev. 7:9).

This means a lot to me, because I just happen to be 6 foot tall. For a female this is not all that great, and I've hated my height for a long time, but my name, giving that meaning... that's why I got my tattoo. It says in the Bible, do not pierce yourself... I take this as do not do bodily harm, like cutting. Getting piercings are fine, as long as they are for a reason. I got my nose pierced because in the Testaments it's a sign of beauty in Israel.
    There's always a reason for something.
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 23, 2007, 06:17 AM
    The laws in Leviticus were specific for the Israelites during the time period for which they were written. They were written for a specific people at a certain time. While we can gain wisdom from considering they "why's" of these laws, remember that Jesus came to fulfill the law. Read this passage from Acts 10:9-16
    9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. 13Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
    14"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

15The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

16This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

Their is nothing wrong biblically with getting a tatoo. The only case where it would be wrong is if you felt God convicting you not to get one and then you went ahead and did it anyway. In that case your sin would be disobedience to God, not the tatoo itself.
    Pray about it before you do it. With any decision, prayer is always the best place to start.
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Apr 25, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Leviticus 19:28 is the verse that talks about tattoos and says, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

As others have mentioned, Jesus came to fulfill the Old Testament law so that people today do not need to follow it. If you read the entire book of Leviticus, you will understand since many of the laws are not followed by Christians today. For example, Leviticus 19:27 says, "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." which is something that most people do.

The problem is that many people will cut and paste verses of the bible together to try to get the bible to prove their point. If you look hard enough, you can find a verse to support almost any position.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Apr 27, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Raynefreak,
    I would like to ask you why you said WHEN you were a Christian? Please let me encourage you to follow through with your commitment to Christ. He died for vou... He loves you... once you've known His love and power, you could never be happy if you're not living for Him.
    I will be praying for you. Please draw close to Him again. You'll be so glad you did!
    God bless you...

Quote Originally Posted by endlessecho
    True, but I was tought growing up that the cutoms that are soly mentioned in the old testament (and not at all mentioned in the New) were to be done away with at the death of Christ, but those mentioned after His death were still to be followed. That's why my family still only eat kosher and stuff like that. So if you want a testimate answer, search the new testament is my advise, but like I said, I don't see anythingwrong with it...

BUT WHAT ABOUT MURDER AND ADULTERY. THEY ARE ALSO IN THE O.T.
    BUT WE KNOW WE ARE STILL NOT TO MURDER IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Apr 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Everything your saying is anoying me poppa. Your forcing your religion on people. You give christians a bad name, you need to learn to keep your pitiful comments to yourself. Thanks for all the worthless comment's.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Apr 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
    poppa0777-

That's OK. You can throw me in the swimming pool (like some people did to me when I 1st was witnessed to!) I did it again 6months later when the Holy Spirit drew me to Him.
    Remember, it's the Holy Spirit who calls a person 1st that makes them willing. God Bless You!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 10:45 PM
    That's good, because I wasn't trying to line anything up with any scripture.

Kae
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
    It does say in the new testament that, It is not what you eat, what goes in your mouth that defiles you but what comes out of it. That is a fact.

It is not my own definition, or my own thoughts. If you feel right to eat any kind of food and your thankful for that, it is completely fine.

Other people do not think certain foods are okay for them and we need to respect other peoples choices to decide what food is good for them or not for them.

Back to the tattoos. The majority of people here agree that it all depends on what kind of tattoo you get?

Joe
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 11:33 PM
    For me, the type of tattoo a person gets is an outside symbol of who they are on the inside.
    This to me, would be the only reason as to why it depends on the tattoo.

I like decent tattoos - things that aren't offensive to look at.

I don't have any because I'm terrified of needles :D but I have been known to wear a few fakies in my younger days:D

Kae
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 11:35 PM
    I have always debated to get one. I wanted a religious cross on one arm and now my sons name and date of birth on the other.

What do you think Kae.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 11:44 PM
    I think that you would be symbolizing a wonderful part of your life -
    Something that's meaningful to you...
    Showing on the outside, what's important to you on the inside.

It's not offensive, and I happen to admire religious crosses.
    Getting your sons name would show, again on the outside, the love you have for your son and your devotion as a father...

If I was standing behind you in the checkout line and saw your tattoos, that's what I'd think:D

Kae
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Apr 28, 2007, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynefreak
    Everything your saying is anoying me poppa. Your forcing your religion on ppl. You give christians a bad name, you need to learn to keep your pitiful comments to yourself. Thanx for all the worthless comment's.
    AHA! YOU ARE SNARED BY YOUR OWN WORDS! YOUR FOOTER ON YOUR POSTS INDICATE THAT YOU WANT people's OPINIONS ON YOUR ANSWERS. Does that only mean when I agree with you?
    I am not "forcing" anything on you. I am stating exactly what the Bible says. I am not the author, only a messenger. I am telling you this to try to help you to understand that you're on the wrong track. AM I THEREFORE BECOME YOUR ENEMY BECAUSE I TELL YOU THR TRUTH?
    I sincerely apologize for offending you...but not for what I said...because I spoke the truth.
    what I said was SCRIPTURE, not religion. That's exactly what's wrong with the world now...religion. The people that killed 3000 of our fine people in NYC are religious. Is that what you want?
    Not me!
    I am sorry I offended you. That was not my intent.

Apr 28, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Well then stop being a bible thumper. As I've just posted on the other post I am what I am. I will not change. So here it is for everyone else. I disagree with the method you are using to show people to Jesus. Jesus, didn't force people to sercome to his will, he loved them, guided them, and taught them at their speed. I've read and studied the bible over the course of 18 years. I REFUSE to be a hypocrite, lukewarm or anything God dislikes once I am a true christian. But, as I said I am finding myself. One thing will always remain, my believe and respect for the one true God who made the world and myself in his image.

This man's post is on tatto's. Religion doesn't really apply in my opinion. My christian friend got a tat of 2 praying hands. Is that so wrong? If I wanted to I could get a heart or something. My body is my body, what I put on it is my choice. Sure God may not like me having a demonic picture or a bad sign on it. But I doubt he care's if you use taste and tatfulness. It's a personal expression of self. My fiancé want's to get honor in Chinese. He thinks the world has no honor left. It's a great thing for him.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynefreak
    Well then stop being a bible thumper. As i've just posted on the other post i am what i am. I will not change. So here it is for everyone else. i disagree with the method you are using to show ppl to Jesus. Jesus, didn't force ppl to sercome to his will, he loved them, guided them, and taught them at their speed. I've read and studied the bible over the course of 18 years. I REFUSE to be a hypocrite, lukewarm or anything God dislikes once i am a true christian. But, as i said i am finding myself. One thing will always remain, my believe and respect for the one true God who made the world and myself in his image.

This man's post is on tatto's. Religion doesn't really apply in my opinion. My christian friend got a tat of 2 praying hands. Is that so wrong? If i wanted to i could get a heart or something. My body is my body, what i put on it is my choice. Sure God may not like me having a demonic picture or a bad sign on it. But i doubt he care's if you use taste and tatfulness. It's a personal expression of self. My fiance want's to get honor in Chinese. He thinks the world has no honor left. It's a great thing for him.
    I really like this post. Good for you Raynefreak. Thank you for your opinions. It is much appreciated by me.

Joe

Apr 28, 2007, 06:26 AM
    I'm glad to know that someone actually views my comment's worth reading or thinking on. I just want people to stop loving the religion and start loving the people. After all, that's what God did. It's funny, people can try to thump to me, but I can come back with it 2x's as good. I don't though. I just wish people would re-evaluate what being a fishermen of men is. Honestly. In the end days, people who thought they were a child of God will have a RUDE awakening. They will be left behind and then and only then will they realize they were living in a lie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Unforgivable Sin? [ 68 Answers ]

I know there are many different nominations and beliefs and opinions about the subject of sin. So here goes. Have any of you heard about the UNFORGIVABLE SIN? If you have exactly what is this unforgivable sin. At the same time I thought all sin can be forgiven? What is your take? Joe

Original Sin [ 13 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone might have a theroy on Original Sin? There has been so much speculation over hundreds of years and I would like to hear what you think. Thanks:confused:

Removing tattoos [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, I want to know how tattoos are removed. Is it painfull?? Is it expensive??

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

Dog tattoos [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently taken in a lost Doxie. He has numbers tattooed on his tummy. Do you know what for?

View more questions Search