Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmsmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
    I cannot afford an atty, how do I get an increase in child support
    I only receive $30.00 per week for my daughter. My new husband and I provide housing, food, clothing, chilcare and all expenses. She receive health insurance through the sate of NJ. Her father only pays $30.00 per week, and provides no other support or help with expenses. He and his new wife work full time with no children. I am unable to afford an attorney, where can I get help to increase child support? Thanks
    Papajoe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Iam no lawyer or is this leagal advice. However my wife and I have experienced this same scenerio two times. In both instances Child Support Recovery and the Juvenile Court System (through legal aide) was able to help. This is in the state of Georgia.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2007, 02:20 PM
    If the father also lives in NJ, go to your local family court and ask how to petititon for a change in support payments.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 06:28 PM
    You can file a motion for modification with the court that issued the original order. Granted, $30/week sounds like a mere pittance (especially for NJ), but you'll have to show a "change in circumstance" that would justify the sought-after increase. For example, has he gotten a different job that pays substantially more than he had been making when the order was initially issued? Did he recently win the lottery or inherit a substantial sum of money? If you cannot show a change in circumstance, then you have little chance of getting any increase.
    lostandnowfound Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jan 12, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Yes you just need to file a motion with the court that awarded you the 30$ and you must show the reason this has to gto up... if his work is the same and it was set up around his situation then... if it is the same now... I will most likely not go up... but if you show he is making more or some variation you may
    jerzbratgirl Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Go to www.njchildsupport.org....It should tell you eveything you need to know and who to contact...
    I recently just had child support established with out an attorney and it was not as hard in nj as I expected...

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYS Child Support increase [ 2 Answers ]

This is my first time to the board so hopefully I do this correctly. I have been divorced since 1999, in that time, I have not had an increase in my child support for my ex's and my 2 boys. Our oldest in now in college and I am paying for his car insurance, phone bill and giving him what money...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support Increase For Cost Of Living? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have a son who will be 9 next week, whom I get child support for in the sum of $40 a week. This court order was established when he was one year old. I have no contact with my son's father, as the situation is a bit complicated. He did try and sue for visitation, which he lost through...

Child support increase [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorces 11 years ago in the state of Texas and moved to the state of Louisiana. I have lived in the state of Louisiana since the divorce was finalized. I have two children. My question is. In the 11 years since my divorce, I have not gotten a single child support increase. Does anyone...

Child support increase [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband have joint custody of our 2 children 50/50.

View more questions Search