Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Dec 31, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Handrail-what side?
    Getting ready to install a new handrail and I don't remember on which side the original was. I took it down some time ago as part of ongoing remodeling. The house is a mid 60's bilevel with five stairs to the upper level, so there is a wall on both sides of the stairs. I noted the mounting screw holes in the framing, but when my dad was ill I installed another railing on the other side, so there are holes on both sides and I can't recall the original.

I'm wondering if there is any “standard” practice of placing the rail. My research didn't revel anything. My thinking would be to have it on the right side, when going DOWN the stairs, as most people are right handed. The layout of the hallway would obviouly limit placement. Or….is it strictly a matter of preference?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 AM

Placing it on the right hand side would hamper your sword arm when defending your homestead against the undead.

Apart from that your conclusions seems sound to me. Rails are normally placed on the outside if there is any turn in the stairs, otherwise I think it's a matter of preference.
    Having it on the user's stronger side for descending to prevent falls makes sense.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Most are placed opposite the lock side. Depending on the door placement, it keeps the handrail away from the lock area. However, it's your choice.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Dec 31, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Thnaks for the info- kind of figured it was either or... There is no door so the lock side is not an issue, but good to know for future reference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Children kept in basement by wicked mother and they loosen the handrail on the stairs [ 0 Answers ]

Pre 1950 black and white film with children kept in basement by wicked mother and they loosen the handrail on the stairs to the airy so she will fall down the stairs when she comes home after leaving them at home alone.

Stair pipe handrail sound vibration [ 0 Answers ]

We live in a 3 storey building. Which is divided into a residential and commercial space... One occupant rented the place for a band rehearsal gig. The space was sound proofed but the problem is that our stair handrail is made of steel pipe mounted on the concrete floors. Now everyfloor I go...

Spindle to handrail attachment [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im in the process of installing new deck handrails and went with the pre-cut for spindles type of railing. (They have square holes routered out to seat the spindle in) In theory I figured it would simply be a matter of installing the pre-cut rail on top and flip one over for the bottom to...

Stairs - Missing Handrail [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a rental property and am in the processed of updating it myself. The front stairs are missing a handrail. Any ideas how I can make or get a cheap rail and install it myself? Thanks

HELP with construction of handrail and spindles [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add 2x2x36 colonial spindles to a handrail... how do I.. 1.Attach these to the bottom and top rails so you can't see screws or nails and 2.What's the easiest way to attach these rails to the 4x4 posts? thanks folks for any help TommyP

View more questions Search