Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alliesuecat Posts: 158, Reputation: 3

Dec 30, 2010, 09:46 PM
    So I want to get a new hamster but...
    I just want to know what the minimum temperature outside should be when I go out to buy a new hamster
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 09:59 PM

Why would the outside temp matter?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 11:36 PM

Are you concerned with transporting the hamster home? Is that what you mean by your question?

Hamsters are pretty hardy. If it's very cold where you live right now, than have someone start the car and let it warm up before you take hammy out of the pet store. Get the person to pull up to the door so you're only outside for a few seconds.

Same when you arrive at your home.

Dec 31, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    I live in Indiana and it's supposed to be in the 30s this weekend.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2010, 12:10 PM

That's not too bad. I've brought a hamster home when it was -22F outside.

Like I said, let the car warm up, make sure it's nice and toastie, and get someone to come with you so that they can pull up to the front of the pet store when you come out.

A few seconds in the cold won't hurt your hammy. :)

Dec 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    because it isn't good to get animals when it's too cold but I got one today since it was decent weather! =)

Dec 31, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    I actually ended up getting one today since it was in the 50s! =) and thanks for you help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My hamster has become mean [ 5 Answers ]

My hamster is mean it is a female. And I used to hold her until she bit me. Do you think she will do it again or should I just leave her alone. Or wear a glove.

My hamster [ 7 Answers ]

My hamster seams like he has a sickness. He is shaking is cold, getting thin and doesn't want to eat anything even his favorite foods! WHAT DO I DO!? :(

Got my new hamster [ 1 Answers ]

First of all I would like to thank all those who helped me by supplying info about hamsters. Yesterday I went and got one. He or she I'm not really sure for the gender, is named Chico. Our two cats never even noticed him yet, thank god. And for rex, well he hasn't tried to eat him so... Lilttle...

Hamster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm just wondering. I have a female syrian hamster and she is 8 weeks roughly mmmm She is vey nervous and she has bit me once but I want to tame her. Do you know why they make growling noises because she is doing that when she bites the bars and scratches. Plus I want to get her used to...

Hamster Qs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a friend, he says a lot of things... The other day he said a hamster could kill a rat by jumping on its back and biting its neck. This seems a bit silly to me, the largest animal I could find that they eat using Google was locusts. Does this actually happen or is he making things...

View more questions Search