Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael061384 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 05:32 PM
    Can I claim fraud against roommate and landlord?
    I moved in to my current apartment about 3 months ago. Upon interviewing with my current roommate that is a girl, she told me that she has a boyfriend but didn't tell me that he actually lives in the apartment. A few weeks into living at the apartment I realized that he actually lives there. I began to get annoyed because I signed up to live with only one other person. When she's not there I expect him not to be there either. I want to move out, I got a short notice (only 8 days), I know you have to give 30 day notice to not forfeit the security deposit. I was ticked off and was offered to move with my buddy at another location. Can I claim fraud and/or misrepresentation against my roommate and move out without losing the security deposit? Is the landlord responsible in this situation? Who would I go after in small claims if it came down to that?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Is your lease with the landlord or the roommate? Who has your security deposit (landlord or roommate)?
    michael061384 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 07:53 PM
    I never signed a the lease with the landlord, but it was a verbal agreement between myself and my roommate. I'm not on the lease and was never told to sign the lease, but since I'm the tenant a verbal agreement is just a binding. The landlord has my security deposit.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2011, 08:00 PM

Hello m:

You have a rental agreement with EITHER your roommate OR your landlord... You can't have BOTH... Yes, you have an informal agreement with your roommate, but since your landlord has your deposit, your agreement is with him.

That's good for you, because he knows that the boyfriend is there and he's the one who lied to you... So, when you move, and he keeps your security deposit, sue him and tell the judge your story... You SHOULD win... But, of course, people LIE sometimes, and without anything in writing, they can get away with it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim Fraud [ 5 Answers ]

My partner owns a Villa in Florida and was recently contacted by a law firm stating that they are acting for a number of clients who were victims of Quit Claim fraud and had done a search for the name that property had benn fraudulently signed over to. They emailed her a copy of Quit Claim and it...

Landlord/Roommate situation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and I own a condo. I took in a roommate since April 2007 to help with my expenses. She signed a l12-month lease. There has been some tension these past few months. She has access to everything except my bedroom and my bathroom; she has her own bedroom and...

Quit claim fraud [ 5 Answers ]

I have a dilema. My grandmother was a victim of fraud. From our understanding, someone gave her a check for 500 dollars (which she cashed) and tricked her into signing a quit claim deed for it. Unfortunately we did not find this out until about 7 months later, and now we find out that the person...

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Landlord as Roommate - Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I have a house that I decided I needed to share by renting a room in the house. I had a roommate move in as the "Tenant" in my home and requested that they sign a lease for a 6 month lease. After three months, I have decided that this is not a compatible living situation. He has insulted or imposed...

View more questions Search