• XBOX

2 50.00%
  • Playstation

2 50.00%
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 02:04 PM
    ROM's & Emulators
    As time passes and technology moves forward. We tend to trade our old gaming consoles for the new and improved console. With this exchange comes excitement and lots of FUN! But... later we tend to miss some of the classic games we've played so vigorously as children.

I, for one, love emulators. It gives me a chance to "bring back memories" of my childhood by allowing me to play these classic or outdated consoles on my PC.

Here is a breakdonw of what an emulator and ROM is:

Emulator- simulates the console
    ROM- simulates the game
    (pretty easy ;))

Here is my discussion.
    Thinking in terms of CD's, DVD's, OS Discs etc... should emulators and their ROMs be considered a form of piracy? Are they considered a form of piracy?

Also, as a sidenote I would love to discuss some of the old time games. What is your favorite past game of all time?

Mine is Diddy Kong Racing for the Nintendo 64 or Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64. ( I know that's not classic but to me it is :P)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
    As I mentioned to you earlier I think it really depends on the source of the ROM packs.
    Official releases from the studios, i.e. Nintindo already do some on Wii, but PirateBay, well goes without saying.

While the "reboots" aren't true ROMs and Ems, they do have the same old skool game play.

And in answer to your poll has to PS3 mostly from the tech angle.
    Sony have bee leading the market in the area since the PS1
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 02:49 PM

I can't vote because I despise our Xbox and refuse to get a playstation.

No, I don't hate it because it's bad gaming. I hate it because it's a point of contention between my son and me. That child would sit in front of the TV playing xbox 24/7 if I let him. Thanks to Halo I had to search far and wide for megablocks Halo crap for Christmas. He's allowed an hour a day and it's always a fight to get him off.

Old school. Well, you got to love pacman, donkey kong, the one with the frog that has to cross the river on logs but for some reason can't swim. I can't remember what it's called, but I spent many a winter eve at my friends house playing it.

I never had a gaming console when I was a kid. My parents refused. Only one friend had one, and only 4 games.

Ya, I'm old.

We also have a Wii, and all I can say about that is... Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 02:59 PM

What the heck are you guys tawkin' about?

*sets up her Monopoly board*
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 29, 2010, 04:57 PM
    Zork. Not a graphic in sight. Although I was sort of fond of Space Invaders before PCs.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 05:10 PM

Diddy kong racing and Mario 64, both awesome games :D

Hmmm if I could find it and my old playstation 'Future Cop LAPD' would be the first game that comes to mind when I think of my favourite classic game, I could play it for hours and hours and never get bored :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Zork. Not a graphic in sight. Although I was sort of fond of Space Invaders before PCs.
    Yay!! Infocom's Zork and Planetfall! And also Atari's River Raid and Pong. I'd put the kids to bed and stay up until to a.m. Of course, I did all my chores first before starting to play.
    Networking Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 06:34 PM

I did like Excite Bike for NES (if I remember correctly)

I was just a wee little kd playing that!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 07:05 PM

I still miss our C-64 and Questron.
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 09:32 PM

Did someone say Atari? That was the bomb diggity!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2010, 10:13 PM

Can't beat Alex the Kid.

Got an emulator a while back just so I could play that game... harder than I remember!
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Can't beat Alex the Kid.

Got an emulator a while back just so I could play that game... harder than I remember!
    You're less agile than you were as a kid. ;)

My kids kick butt on the games. When we first got the wii Jared didn't have a prayer in beating me in the shooting game. Now he wins every time. It sucks.

But I can still kick his butt in cards, so all is not lost. :)
    Networking Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 06:30 AM

I could go on all day about games but I'll refrain.

I'm looking for a good DreamCast emulator (what? I like Sonic), anyone got any ideas?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2010, 10:25 AM

Maybe try one of these
    The Emulator Zone - Sega Dreamcast Emulators

Its where I got my GBA emulator from anyhoo :)
    Networking Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks. I'll try it out because I installed one from coolrom and I can't figure it out :(
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2011, 09:36 PM

I still have no clue what you are talking about, but thanks for trying to explain.:) Yahtzee anyone?:D
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2011, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I still have no clue what you are talking about, but thanks for trying to explain.:) Yahtzee anyone?:D
    In a nutshell... its a program that lets your computer run software for a different type of machine. I.E. You play your ancient Atari games on your new PC.

There is a lot more to it than that... but that's the readers digest version.
    Networking Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    In a nutshell....its a program that lets your computer run software for a different type of machine. I.E. You play your ancient Atari games on your new PC.

There is a lot more to it than that....but thats the readers digest version.
    Correct! The emulator represents/simulates the console and the ROM's represent/simulate the game (whether it be cartridge, disc, etc... )
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 07:57 AM

Defender was the only old school game I really got off on. Except for maybe astroids... back in the day

I loved Wing Commander... and Nascar Racing... but those were PC games. Don't have the time or desire for games these days.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 02:26 PM

I love games.

I have had ALL the various units throughout the last decade or two.
    Started with Pong at the bars , then Atari 2400 at home followed by Intellivision, Coleco, then the Nintendo series.

Then an Atari 64XE computer with the big floppy drive that sounded like a threshing machine, and onto Playstation 3 .

From Pong to Halo .

One of my favorites is Nintendo 64 and the related games of that era.

I have found an emulator of '64 and every game I ever heard of plus a few hundred more at Project 64 .

Back to Perfect Dark and James Bond, the games my grandsons and I played while they grew up. I still haven't.

I can't see where it is piracy when the consoles and games are no longer sold anywhere but pawn shops and thrift stores and as far as I know the companies no longer market.

I say download 'em and flashback, these emulators and roms play exactly like old games and are still loads of fun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 150 amp meter panal handel a 100 amp, 40 amp, 30 amp and 30 amp brakers. [ 2 Answers ]

My meter panal is a 150amp panal. I have a 60 amp sub panal coming off it a 30amp to my stove a 30 to dryer and a 40 to the a/c. i want to upgrade the 60 amp sub panal to a 100 amp panal. Will the 150 amp meter panal handel it or do i need to have a 200 amp meter panal installed

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

Roms and Emulators [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best site for roms and emulators?

View more questions Search