Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2003, 08:34 AM
    Catholic Religion
    Is it madatory to go to confession?
    If we don't or can't make a good confession will we be condemed?
    Graham3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2004, 04:29 PM
    Caholic Religion
    Hi
    You are obliged to go to confession and Holy Communion at least once a year at Easter or thereabouts.

No, you're not condemned for not making a good confession but if you have deliberately withheld something which you should have confessed the absolution would not be effective or only partial. Remember that it is actually God who has the final say. He knows whether your confession is complete even though the priest may not

God Bless
    Graham3
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 24, 2006, 07:06 AM
    We can go directly to God in prayer in the name of Jesus Christ.
    But God requires that we sincerely try to improve ourselves. Otherwise our confession of sin and petitions for forgiveness will become merely a ritual which calms our conscience so we can sin in peace until the next confession.

Proverbs 28:13
    He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

1 Timothy 2:5
    For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

1 John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

BTW
    The benefit of confessing our sins to or discussing our sins with another human being is that we can receive advice which will help us to be better Christians. If we can do so without the fear of our personal things becoming town gossip all the better. One has to be very careful with whom one discusses one's personal matters since some who profess to be trustworthy are in the habit of gossiping. Some ministers who guarantee that things told them will be kept private and encourage the flock to come to them for advice habitually converse about confessed sins with their wives and their wives take it to their friends until everyone in the church you attend knows about your supposedly private affairs. That's why I personally take my concerns directly to God.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2006, 10:59 AM
    First there is no bad confessions, Ok, some funny ones, and some embarasing ones if the person is too expicted on what their sin is.
    But the confession is between you and God with the priest there to mediate Gods blessing.

A good priest will listen perhaps even question, and hopefully give some suggestions along with pentence.

But you should attempt to go once a year, if you have waited 10 years, then that will be one of the sins to confess.
    Ahmadiyya Posts: 19, Reputation: -1

Apr 24, 2006, 05:39 PM
    In the chalic dogma they say you must go confes to your paster guy. My question is what can he do for you? Now the only person you can confess to is Allah(god) only he can judge you and only he has the right.
    Expert

Apr 24, 2006, 06:31 PM
    Of course in Catholic ( Church ) teachings, Peter was given what is called "the Keys of the Kingdom" what so ever is forgiven on earth is forgiven in heaven, what so ever is bound on earth is bound in heaven.
    So using the bible as a guile, the Priest though his Bishop has been given the authority.

But beyond that, if you are having a problem, the priest would also be there to talk in private about that problem.
    Ahmadiyya Posts: 19, Reputation: -1

Apr 24, 2006, 06:38 PM
    NO ONE IS GOD!!!! these people can't tell you that you are free, the only person who can tell you you are free of sin is god and if he ant god why tell him anything, just go make some rakats and do like the Muslims and pray 5 times a day so god will forgive you for you sin's. How can a man tell you you are forgiven that would mean that you are praiseing that man and not god!
    Expert

Apr 24, 2006, 06:54 PM
    And yes God can forgive all but as the bible teaches we should also confess our sins to one another. And no the man is not forgiving the sin,

If you say a man can not speak for God, then you are also saying that their can not even be a true prophet of God. And sadly the Muslims pray is not a salvatoin for them, it is a practice but within their own teachings has no saving grace. They have their own specific requirements for salvatoin according to their teachings.

If you proclaim Allah as youdo in your signature line, you seem to be even rejecting their own teachings callingit a rakats ?
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Apr 26, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    We can go directly to God in prayer in the name of Jesus Christ.
    But God requires that we sincerely try to improve ourselves. Otherwise our confession of sin and petitions for forgiveness will become merely a ritual which calms our conscience so we can sin in peace until the next confession.

Proverbs 28:13
    He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

1 Timothy 2:5
    For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

1 John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

BTW
    The benefit of confessing our sins to or discussing our sins with another human being is that we can receive advice which will help us to be better Christians. If we can do so without the fear of our personal things becoming town gossip all the better. One has to be very careful with whom one discusses one's personal matters since some who profess to be trustworthy are in the habit of gossiping. Some ministers who guarantee that things told them will be kept private and encourage the flock to come to them for advice habitually converse about confessed sins with their wives and their wives take it to their friends until everyone in the church you attend knows about your supposedly private affairs. That's why I personally take my concerns directly to God.

The questioner did ask about the Catholic religion. Any answer must take that into account. There is no likelihood that a priest will gossip to his wife about what has been committed to him by a penitent under the sacred privilege of the confessional.

M:)RGANITE
    Expert

Apr 26, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Actually some Catholic priests are married, it is a well guarded secret, but the Catholic Church accepts ministers to become priests from other churches at times, Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran. They are allowed to join and become priests even if married. Also the Roman Rite within the Catholic is only one of many rites ( although by far the largest) but the other Eastern rites allow priests to be married also.

Apr 27, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmadiyya
    NO ONE IS GOD!!!! these people can't tell you that you are free, the only person who can tell you you are free of sin is god and if he ant god why tell him anything, just go make some rakats and do like the Muslims and pray 5 times a day so god will forgive you for you sin's. how can a man tell you you are forgiven that would mean that you are praiseing that man and not god!

The question is about the Catholic religion, therefore, answers ought to approach the question from the perspective of the Catholic religion.

You say that "No one is God," but you are wrong. ONE is God, and he has revealed his will through his divinely inspired prophets and through his Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Spirit that the Father sheds on all those who are just and true.

The Catholic religion believes that confession to a priest is effective and that the priest is authorised to speak for God and pronounce the penitent shriven if the heart of the confessor is right.

You go even further and say that if a priest "tell[s] you you are forgiven that would mean that you are praiseing that man and not god," which is a plain nonsense. The penitent knows who is God and who is the priest, and he never confuses one with the other. The priest acts for God, and the penitent thanks God and praises God. It is in remarkably bad taste to accuse someone of doiung something they never do so that you can score a point, but the fact that you are absolutely wrong in your accusation denounces you as an irreligious fiend acting out of childish spite and does your reputation great harm. You owe Catholics an apology for your mischaracterisation.

That is not what Catholics believe. You should make the answer from the Catholic doctrine and practise if you know it. If you do not know it, then you should not take this earnest question as an excuse to inject the peculiar religious philosophy of the Ahmadiya into a conversation where a questioner is seeking light and knowledge from a particular perspective. It is not good manners and raises a suspicion of religious bigotry and intolerance. Those who worship a God of truth should always speak the truth.

Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2006, 06:17 AM
    In the chalic dogma they say you must go confes to your paster guy. My question is what can he do for you? Now the only person you can confess to is Allah(god) only he can judge you and only he has the right.
    Catholics should go to confess their sins to a priest.
    You say that the only person you can confess to is allah (God) don't forget please that catholics have a different approach compared to muslims.
    In our catholic religion if we confess our sins to a priest our priest can take away those sins from us.
    So we have the choice of either confessing to our priest or doing it individually by praying and asking for forgivness to God.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2006, 06:23 AM
    NO ONE IS GOD!!!! these people can't tell you that you are free, the only person who can tell you you are free of sin is god and if he ant god why tell him anything, just go make some rakats and do like the Muslims and pray 5 times a day so god will forgive you for you sin's. how can a man tell you you are forgiven that would mean that you are praiseing that man and not god!
    Listen. Your point has been made, and I came to the conclusion that you have NO point at all. Don't judge other religions (catholics espically) for the way they pray and confess.
    YES priests can tell us we are free from our sins, they are there representing God. Priests are people who represent GOD. If you know anything about the catholic religion, the priests holds a mass and talks and teach us about our religion. A Priest is a clergyman in Christian churches who has the authority to perform or administer various religious rites; one of the Holy Orders.
    A priest devotes himself and his life to religion.

No we don't need to pray 5 times a day to ask for forgivness that's muslim Islam culture and NOT ours.
    You are talking RUBBISH and looking at this concept for close mindness. Be abit more open minded.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 27, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    The questioner did ask about the Catholic religion. Any answer must take that into account. There is no likelihood that a priest will gossip to his wife about what has been committed to him by a penitent under the sacred privilege of the confessional.

Yes, I assumed that the reader would assume that my reference to wives was not meant as a reference to priests since priests practice celibacy and assumed that my use of the word "minister" would automatically exclude priests. My, experience was with non-Catholic ministers and not Catholic priests. You are right, I should have clarified this in my response.
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Aug 20, 2006, 06:51 PM
    I am Catholic. I feel that if I am truly sorry for something I have done or said that God hears me. I can't remember the last time I saw the confessionals at church used. I go weekly.

Aug 20, 2006, 08:45 PM
    Someone is GOD! God is GOD.

Ahmadis counsel with Imams and these meetings serve as confessionals. Confession is good for the soul.

M:)
    Jesus_is_Lord Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2011, 02:40 PM
    The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." Read Ephesians 1:1-23. Those who are true christians, living by the words of the bible only, are the chosen people. To become a christian you must Hear the word (Romans 10:17), Believe (John 14:1) Repent (Luke 13:3) Confess Christ to be the Son of God (Matthew 10:32) and be buried in Baptism for the remission of sins (Mark 16:16). The bible also tells us in 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. The bible tells us we are all priests, so why would you need to go to confession? A catholic priest can do nothing for you. I pray you find God's word, study it for yourself so you aren't misled, and become a christian pleasing in God's site.
    niceguy1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Comment on Morganite's post
    Has very little to do with the person (priest) you confess to, But it has a lot to do with the authority and responsibility jesus gave to the apostles only, when he breathed on them and said to them "what you forgive on earth will be forgiven in heaven". He gave this commission to the apostles only! Very few denominations (the catholic church being one of 2 of them) has true apostolic succession. What is true apostolic succession you ask? That we can get into if you would like.
    niceguy1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
    Please read your bible and your Catholic Catechism before you make up your mind. I find that most ex catholics are ex because they were uniformed. Please read John 20 verse 22 and 23. Don't rely on non catholics for catholic knowledge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could the Catholic Church be EVIL? [ 103 Answers ]

Priest faces trial in nun’s stabbing death Body of 71-year-old victim was found under altar cloth 26 years ago Reuters Updated: 10:35 a.m. ET April 15, 2006 TOLEDO, Ohio - A 68-year-old Catholic priest goes on trial Monday in the stabbing death of a nun whose body was found covered by an...

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What is the official teaching of the catholic church regarding people of other faiths ability to get into heven

Catholic dogma [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a text of catholic dogma

Dark Ages,Catholic Church [ 2 Answers ]

Why was it called dark ages and was the catholic church behind the dark ages ? I have been reading a lot of books on the subject of the conspicary of the catholic church covering up about Jesus and that Jesus was married and had children,The nights templar guarded this secret.The Masons was...

Primary school education - catholic [ 1 Answers ]

Does the parent of a child in catholic school in New York State have the absolute right to have the child transferred to another class? And where can I find the rules or statutes pertaining to this?

View more questions Search