Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shagg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Tripping main power breaker to house, isolate home from power grid?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 09:49 AM

I'm sorry. What is your question?

Is your main breaker tripping? If so calling an electrician is definitely your best bet.

Dec 29, 2010, 06:09 PM
    No, breaker is not tripping. I'm planning on wiring a generator up to my power panel, but everything I'
    Ve seen says if I don't have some special breaker installed, I could be sending electricity back through the main power grid. I would think that if I trip the main power breaker, it would be impossible for that to happen, and vice versa, when the power came back on it could not enter my power panel and ruin my generator. If that's not the case, I don't understand the purpose of the main power breaker.
    Shagg
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2010, 08:27 PM
    If you do not use some sort of mechanical means of preventing power to be sent out to the gird, you may injure or kill a linemen. The 120 and 240 volts you have in your homes comes from a transformer that steps down high voltage, anywheres from 2400 up to 4100 volts typically in a residential area. If close to a commercial area the voltage can be as high as 13,000 volts.

The power you send out onto the grid will get stepped up to that higher voltage. A linemen working on those lines, fortunately they work on dead lines as if they were live, may come in contact with that voltage.

Linemen are constantly checking for power coming back at them on a line that should be dead. If they see voltage for no good reason, they will track it down, and cut the lines to your home.

You will be the last person to get power back, and they will have the local inspector with them, to inspect your system. And you will effect any repairs or eliminate any code violations before power is restored.

This is assumes no one gets hurt. Then criminal charges are in order.

There are manual transfer switches, automatic transfer switches, and devices that are simple interlocks between the two input breakers from utility and generator.

Either one must be used when connecting a generator to a system.

Look up your utilities website and look for their service requirements and it will explain about using these devices.

Dec 30, 2010, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagg View Post
    No, breaker is not tripping. I'm planning on wiring a generator up to my power panel, but everything I'
    ve seen says if I don't have some special breaker installed, I could be sending electricity back through the main power grid. I would think that if I trip the main power breaker, it would be impossible for that to happen, and vice versa, when the power came back on it could not enter my power panel and ruin my generator. If that's not the case, I don't understand the purpose of the main power breaker.
    Shagg
    Thank you. It would have been great if all this information was in the original post.

TK has you covered for the answer. Not much I can add.

Dec 30, 2010, 10:10 AM
    Comment on stanfortyman's post
    Thanks stanfortyman. First time user here and original post kept telling me my question was too long so I kept chopping it down.

Dec 30, 2010, 10:13 AM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Thanks TK, but still seems like if I tripped the main breaker before starting my generator no power could get to the power grid. Guess I'm applying too much common sense here, go figure. Thanks again.

Dec 30, 2010, 12:29 PM

Sorry Shagg. I had no idea the board would tell you that. I know there is a new format and folks have had posting issues.
    No problem.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2010, 01:34 PM
    Yes, opening the Main will, or should, stop sending out power to the grid. The issue is this action must rely on human intervention.

Humans forget things.

Everything.

Someone life cannot rely on betting each human that connects a generator without a mechanical means to open a breaker.

I brought the issue of question being too long to admins attention.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 01:38 PM

You will need to stop using the comment feature, you actually answer your own question, use the "post quick answer" at the bottom of the page,

The comment feature is not to be sued for follow up info
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
    Father don't you get tired of telling people about the comment field? I see you supermods constantly letting posters know they are screwing up the whole site.

How long will it take admin to figure out that something clearly is not clear to new members.

This is not rocket science.

There are entire threads about this issue, and how admin is ignoring any input about how new members just don't seem to get with the program.

Perhaps Admin and the Developers have not gotten to that chapter of the instruction manual for the new Skin, and just do not know how to change the appearance of the Skin and be more intuitive to new members.

This comment feature issue is getting old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler is not receiving elec power , but main line has power up [ 0 Answers ]

Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler is not receiving elec power , but main line has power up to the unit

Main breaker power out [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:last night I came home and had no power so I looked at my main breaker and it was off and when I turned it back on I heard a loud buzzing sound and the breaker kicked back off so now I have no power please help

Adding on to the main house power cables [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Can I add on to or extend the main cables in the house to install a dishwasher (the power box on the dishwasher is on the far side and the main house (hot, black, ground) wires don't reach.. Thanks ~ Janet

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

A/c power breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a...

View more questions Search