Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Dec 28, 2010, 11:58 PM
    Can I be held responsible for health costs
    I was dog sitting when the dog jumped my fence. The owner said the dog does that often at his house but comes back so there is a pattern. I was in the yard with 3 dogs the dog who ran away was around the corner I went to make sure she was in the yard and she was not! I put my dogs inside and ran to get her. I was outside for over an hour trying to find her the owner came and we found where the tracks ended. I told him to call the closest animal hospital and she was there, she was hit by a car. Am I responsible for the health costs?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 29, 2010, 05:08 AM
    Are you at the stage of Small Claims where you respond in writing to the complaint?
    A lot will depend on the agreement you had and if it was in writing or not, whether this is something you do for others, whether it's a licensed business, etc. It will also depend on the judge and how you present yourself (appearance, manners, etc) in court, if you get to court.
    The burden isn't on the dog owner to tell you what 'patterns' his dog has, although that would have been reasonable; it's on you to ask, just as you ask need to ask about shots and licenses and allergies and biting and so on, and write it all down.
    If this was a one time dogsit akin to babysitting for a neighbor and not a routine venture for others too, the judge might take pity on you.
    Small Claims go quickly and can be somewhat arbitrary, because it's not high stakes or criminal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can husband be held responsible? [ 3 Answers ]

If I pled guilty in criminal court for embezzlement and now being sued in civil court, will my husband be responsible? Will they take our home?

The affair is over am I being held responsible or paranoid? [ 3 Answers ]

First of all I have to say thank you to the many who have helped me so far with coping with my problem. I really appreciate this. For those who don't know my story it is that my husband had an emotional affair with his first ever girlfriend from 20+ years ago. This led to him saying that our...

Can a spouse be held responsible for debt? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a really old Capital One account that is threatening to sue me. I have been unemployed for the last year to take care of some family matters. I know that they can sue me but I'm curious to know if they do and win, can my husband be required to repay the debt? I have no income of my own and...

Can tenants who are not on the lease be held responsible for cleaning when they move [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Washington State. I moved in with a woman and her family at thr end of last November. I have since transferred all of the utilities into my name and began paying all of the bills including the full amount of the rent. Her 1-yr lease expired in February at which time the landlord asked...

I need to know if the brokerage co. And title co. Can be held responsible actions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I hope this is in the right category of law but I refinanced my house last year because of a pending divorce and to get my husband's name off the deed at the time. Well, I found out months later that the title co. messed up and had us sign the wrong deed and also find that I question a lot of...

View more questions Search