Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    briannekayleen Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 06:10 PM
    Workout guide for hiking!
    I want to be fit to do some hiking this coming summer. Are there any online workouts that will improve my physical condition and make hiking easier? I will be hiking with a 20 lb. pack then.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 06:34 PM

Coming from someone who has done many conditioning hikes with 60+lb packs (military) here is some advice.

This first thing has nothing to do with fitness. Don't over-dress. If it's cold outside don't go wearing a coat on a hiking trip. (bring one) but don't wear it. Wearing one can cause over-heating.

Secondly, hiking isn't all about legs. Work on your back as well. 20lbs isn't a lot but after 25k it feels like a ton.

Third (would I say thirdly?) Make sure to hydrate. HYDRATE, HYDRATE HYDRATE. Before, after and during (even if it's freezing cold out)

Fourth, hiking takes a lot of stamina. If you're a smoker you will need to work on your conditioning more so then a non-smoker as you will get winded a lot quicker.

Lastly, when I hiked I was always holding a weapon (not sure if you will hold anything) but arms get tired after hiking/walking too.

To sum it up. Dress appropriate, drink water, work on legs, back, arms and conditioning.

P.S. Stretch. I almost forgot stretch, stretch, stretch!
    briannekayleen Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    Thank you for the answer... altho I'm kind of looking for a program to follow...
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 07:34 PM

Well I am unsure of specific program but if you know what areas you need to concentrate on Google is your friend!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hiking in around the Vancouver, WA area [ 1 Answers ]

My dad and I were looking for some good hiking trails. We live in Vancouver, Washington.

What new TV's have Guide Plus or TV Guide on them? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy a new LED LCD TV with some type of Guide Plus or TV Guide installed. I have had this feature before and I really like it.

Where is a good inexpensive place that is private, where you can go rafting, hiking, mo [ 1 Answers ]

Where is a good inexpensive place that is private, where u can go rafting, hiking, mountain climbing (possibly), and camping. Id like a list of possibilities, if u could, of different places that I could go. And I'm not talking about tourist traps.

Hiking Lower Michigan [ 2 Answers ]

First off, where is the hiking selection. Come on guys, people don't ask about hiking? Secondly, I have hiked in several surrounding areas of Muskegon. I need more exciting, prettier hikes. Anyone have any good suggestions? Also I am bringing someone along at one point or another that hates...

Thomson Ge TV guide plus problems can't turn the guide off not hooked to cable [ 0 Answers ]

So the guide plus demo screen keeps coming up and we can't shut the guide off. We have tried everything in the user manual but it doesn't work. We are not hooked to cable or satellite so I switched it to either vhs or uhf. Does it need repair, is there a way to get rid of the guide plus system

View more questions Search