Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deeheidt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 03:45 PM
    High Nitrite and nitrates... but not ammonia
    I have a 30 gall.freshwater tank.
    In this tank I keep 4 angel fish. 1 tire track eel (at this time approx 3 inch. Long) 2 small frogs and 4 chinese cleaner fish.
    I faithfully do water changes every week ( 25 - 30% )
    Up to this point I have not been testing the water.The tank has been a long established one.. but only in the last mo.I have added all the newcomers.. I transferred the old ones to a new tank
    As the heading says... High nitrites and nitrates... but no ammonia// Now 2 weeks ago I rinsed my filter but did not change it... Could this be the problem and also.. I have increased the menue a bit as well to make sure all the little guys are getting something to eat as the angel fish are such Hoovers
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Jan 3, 2011, 09:13 AM
    Too many fish and too much water being changed. Cut back to 10% weekly.
    The chinese algae eaters will get to be 6" and aggressive as will the angels. You should not keep them together. Add some plants to help clear the nitrates(wisteria,Anacharis).

Did you rinse the filter with sink water? If so, it would set back your bacteria. Add more bacteria to help in lowering the nitrites.
    What is the PH levels? And how high is the nitrite?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High nitrite levels in aquarium [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got 10 gallon tank for about 5 weeks now but I'm having problems can someone help me. I startet with 4 zebra danio. They ar fine but the nitrites an nitrates are so high. Ammonia has been 0 for to weeks. I have done 25%-30%water changes every day in past 4 days and adding water conditioner...

Nitrite level to high [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a 75 gal fish tank on the 4 July 07 I bought some fish and did not know about the cycle thing, I do now .All of my fish died except one the rainbow shark. Which I still have.A few weeks ago my ammonia level was way up so I used a ammonia lock and it made my water so cloudy that I could not...

What levels are to high for nitrite [ 3 Answers ]

In my 30 gal tank my nitrite is 1.0 ppm, which seems to be high, but my ammonia level is 0 ppm. What do I need to do to get this down?

High Nitrite and Nitrate Levs [ 9 Answers ]

I am wondering why in my fresh water tank I have very high Nitrites and Nitrates levels in it. I have a 10gal tank with a Bio Wheel Filter and the Whisper Filter that came with the tank when I got it. I have 9 fish in it as well. The water got clear as soon as I put in the bio-wheel filter,...

Aquarium Very HIGH Nitrite levels [ 4 Answers ]

So we're new to fish and have acquired a 56 litre (16 US Gal) Hexagon tank. So I set it up and left it to cycle for about 10 days. Before we stocked it we had the water tested and it was fine, 0% Amm, 0% Nitrite. We purchased 2 pearlscales and within 10 days both were dead. I now know this...

View more questions Search