Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andysila Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
    Primary signer vs secondary card holder
    I opened a credit card, me being the primary signer, and I basically allowed them to put my girlfirneds NAME onto another credit card, which would be the secondary card holder.. not CO-SIGNER on the credit account..

She made zero chares, and I maxed out the credit card and was unable to pay it back.. they had called my girlfriend stating her credit was going to go "downhill".. is this true?. she's just a secondary card holder to my account.. I didn't provide them with any of her information... just mine...

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 07:34 AM
    It should not be, but we get a lot of people who come on here and say the agenies come after them as just a card holder.

I will assume this is spelled out in all the fine print you get with the cards that no one ever reads.

I just don't think it is legal and possible and could be beat in court, but there are people here every month that swear it happens.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2007, 07:56 AM
    If she did not sign the credit application, then she should have no responsibility for making payments.
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If she did not sign the credit application, then she should have no responsiblity for making payments.
    From your description, she is an "Authorized User" on the account. Meaning the credit was issued in your name and on your information and you are the only one responsible for repaying the debt. However, many times an "Authorized User" account can appear on someone's credit report. Have her check her credit report to see if they have put the credit card on her reports. There are three major reports: Experian, Trans Union, and Equifax. Check on all three, some lenders only report to one or two of them and not all three. If it shows up, have her dispute it and ask the credit report companies to have the credit card company produce the application she signed. When the credit card company cannot do so, the credit report companies will remove the bad information.

Here are links to each website:

Experian

Trans Union

Equifax

You will have to read the pages carefully. You have a legal right to a free report, but they'll try to charge you for them. So make sure you read the pages and go to where it says you can get your free copy.

Good luck!!
    Jaykid007 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 09:49 PM
    I agree, sounds like an "authorized user". They have no basis to charge her for this bad debt. Even minor can be an authorized user on a card but have no legal responsibility.
    irene_0ne Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 08:02 PM
    What if the secondary authorize user file a bankruptcy, is this affecting the primary user?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by irene_0ne
    What if the secondary authorize user file a bankruptcy, is this affecting the primary user?
    No
    irene_0ne Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Thanks scott.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Secondary master not detected in bios [ 5 Answers ]

Bios does not detect secondary master in boot up although does show it on my computer and shows working properly. Having brought the system brand new I changed the dvd combi drive for a dvd rom and separate dvd writer and both function perfectly well during operation. All cables are connected...

Secondary card holder [ 2 Answers ]

There were charges made on my card buy the secondary user. Payment were late and this went on my credit . Will the creditor allow the secondary card holder to take over entire account and take my name off if both card holders agree to this. Or can a judge order the credit card company to do this.

Co-signer on Car Loan and Account Garnished [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have just had our joint account garnished/levey yesterday and all the bank would give us was a phone number that was only in operation from 8-5pm. They would not tell us any details only that the account had been garnished. Today we have found out that is for collection of a...

Secondary Card Holder vs. Co-Signer [ 4 Answers ]

I am a secondary card holder (NOT a co-signer) on my mother's credit card. The card has now been sent to debt collectors (she claims it is all my debt and I say that it is shared, but no one is paying on it). What type of impact does the bad debt have on my credit report? Can she take her name...

When a co-signer/guarator files Chpt 7 [ 1 Answers ]

I co-signed for my daughter on a GMAC car loan. If I file Chapter 7, assume this doesn't affect her since her name is on the car and she continues to make payments as agreed. Also, is she notified of the filing? She's in another state.

View more questions Search