Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bean434 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Join the national guard to be a cop?
    I want to join the national guard and eventually be a police officer. I don't have very much info en would like to know if it is hard to do
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 08:12 PM

If what is hard to do? Join the service or become a cop? Or both?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 08:38 PM

Serving in the military can help you get a job in many departments, but not always being part of the guard or reserve, they often look for a tour of duty in regular military,

Also some you will almost need at least a two you degree but a four year is a lot better.

Not that there are not officers with out it, but if you want the best chance to get hired, Remember there are often 30 to 100 people that apply for every job opening in a police department,

Also how willing are you to move, sometimes it is easier to get hired in smaller departments that pay poorly and have lower benefits first.
    Networking Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    but not always being part of the guard or reserve, they often look for a tour of duty in regular military,
    Excuse me? Fr_chuck I seldom disagree with things you say but let me clarify something real quick.

The regular military? I am a Marine Corps. Reservist and I deploy in November 2011. Just because you're a National Guardsman or Reservist does not mean we don't deploy. Especially in times like now!

They could care-less if you were a Reservist or Active Duty Serviceman/woman they see a deployment as a deployment. You think the Reservists have it easier in a deployment? Hell NO, we have it harder. We train less and have less to work (pre-ILOC) (during ILOC our orders change to Active Duty and we get all the cool toys) with so when we deploy its us against the world. (figuratively speaking)

But, everything else you said I agree with ;)
    Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 08:55 PM

While they may not say it, many departments really don't want you to still be in the reserve or National guard when you go to work for them.

They don't like working around your weekend duties, and really don't like you being called to active duty.
    Plus since jobs there work under emergancy rules,
    Like not being able to leave work unless relieved, or in emergancy needing to be available,

There were many unwritten hiring habits, where those that still had obligations were often not hired, unless they were no other equally qualified

And that is the issue, the possible deployment, they don't really want to spend 10 to 20 thousand dollars putting you though an academy to have to ship out in 6 months.

While being a Vet is a giant bonus, having current obilgations may not be.
    Networking Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 09:12 PM

It didn't sound like you were referring to being a cop while on reserve duty. I apologize for the assumption.

Mis-interpretation of words. :(
    Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 09:33 PM

Yes being a reserve if you are out will still be a benefit, and to some departments it would be while being still being on.

But there is still a lot of dealings, esp in smaller departments that are the "good ole boy" system.
    Also you will often find dislike between one department and another if their areas of jursidiction over lap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I join national guard while I'm on probation . [ 10 Answers ]

Can I still join national guard while I'm on probation have a 3rd drgee felony 4 att burlary my p.o officer said I get relase in 2010 of April but I want to join now. and on the mean while should I go for my .g.. e.. d because of problems I droped out of high school in the 9th grade . ...

HIPPA violation in the Army National Guard [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the Army National Guard and believe that someone in my Chain of Command violated HIPPA. My unit was being deployed & I was pregnant, ended up having a miscarriage. When I sent a note from my OBGYN simply stating that I was cleared to deploy medically, but not mentally my Commander called my...

National Guard and Probation [ 2 Answers ]

What happens when your serving the national guard and you are put on probation while still serving.

View more questions Search