Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ednstacey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Question of Hippa violation between employees devulging their own health issues
    My husband is a director in environmental services department and he was made aware by HR that one of his employees filed a Hippa violation against another housekeeping employee for telling why this employee was off work on FMLA. The employee off on FMLA specifically told this other housekeeper that she was going to get a work excuse to be off since she was reassigned a new shift and was unhappy with the shift work. These two employees only work in housekeeping and have no other access to health information about the other, other than what one told the other. How can she file a violation against this other employee? Can she be in trouble for just telling other employees she is off because she has a back problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2010, 06:57 PM

Anyone can file a HIPAA violation, doesn't mean one exists. If the one employee volunteered the info to the other employee, then no HIPAA violation exists.

HIPAA protects people from having their medical caregivers revealing confidential info without permission. From what you describe, no caregiver was involved and the info was volunteered. So, when HR investigates there should be no finding of a violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Where do British NHS employees go for Health Care ? [ 134 Answers ]

You can't make this stuff up!! Printer Friendly

Health, Dental,Vision, Life Insurance for Employees [ 1 Answers ]

Is Health, Dental,Vision & Life Insurance a liability or a cost of sales? I always thought that is was a payroll liability, but now I have seen it as a payroll fringe. I know that it is included as a fringe when you are calculating fringe benefits for certified payroll, but listed as a payroll...

View more questions Search