Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kc_me Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 01:40 PM
    I was charged with cheating in Singapore Penal code 420-224, first time offender
    I was charged with cheating in Singapore Penal code 420-224, first time offenderafter taking a price tag of a shirt for another shirt. Any advice on the sentences and anything I should do? I was arrested by the police and their giving me 2 weeks probation...
    hawes20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 08:46 PM
    Hi there, may I know what happened to you in the end?
    Truepath Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2013, 06:40 AM
    I switched the label for 2 items (the difference was about 150$). When I was caught by the shop security I requested for lenient treatment but no use, the police arrested me under 420 and took me to Singapore Central Police station and I was kept there overnight while having to wait for my investigating officer to come and speak to me. In the end he came early in the morning (3-4am). In the mean time I was not allowed to even inform my family that I was arrested and the trauma they were undergoing whilst searching for a missing me was really weighing in on my mind.

The investigating officer was really intimidating but civil.. well considering my acts I could not expect anything better. He told me that he will recommend a warning instead of a charge if I was co-operative. I knew that this was an age old tactic of the police but then I realised that he probably has cctv footage and I had no way of escaping. I told him what exactly happened and expressed remorse to him. He told me that considering my first time offence there is a high probability that I would be given a warning, he was however categorical that the decision was not just his to make. He also told me that there was no point appointing a lawyer since I was not charged.

Time hardly moves when you are in a cell.. I was moved around cells frequently and was handcuffed all the time. I shared cells with hardened criminals but all cells had cctv and if any of my cell mates even spoke, the guards would appear at the door. The hours I spent in the cell were agonising as I worrying about my family, my future and the shame and uncertainty lying in front of me.

I was given watery tea and papery bread at 6 in the morning but I wolfed down both of them because I just needed something to divert me from the troubles I faced. The cell was air conditioned, had a toilet and drinking water, we could request for blankets but I did not do so, since I did not have the courage to ask the guards for anything. At about 630 prisoners are pulled up for a "bath" but I did not feel like being hosed down naked with cold water in front of my cell mates and I did not have a bath.

I was allowed a phone call to my friend by the investigating officer at 630 am and I was bailed out by my friend at 9am (there is a shift change at the central police station between 7 to 9 so bailors would be best advised to come before 7 or after 9).

I was asked to report 2 weeks later before the same police officer along with my bailor.

I enegaged a lawyer the same day since I did not want to take chances.

However god was good to me and I was called by my investigating officer exactly ten days from the happening of the incident. He told me to appear before him the next day and I will be warned instead of being charged.

The ten days were among the worst in my life and the prospect of losing all that I had worked hard for all my life kept me sleepless and listless..

In any case I have decided to do something for the society in turn for the mercy that god has shown me.. I will be volunteering for the aged and infirm.

I have also decided that taking the longer straight path is always worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First offender will I be charge in singapore [ 11 Answers ]

I am on bail now. They had charged me under the singapore state offense 420-224. I had remove a prefume from a box cost about SG 68. At mustafa and put it into another perfume box cost about 7.40 cent, later I went to the cashier to pay for the perfume, after paying for the perfume, I was...

Engine light came on, gave a cat 420 code. Had the converter replaced and light ca [ 1 Answers ]

I had the converter replaced and mech turned off light. Drove 20 miles and the light returned. Replaced the oxygen sensor mech turned off light and the light returned. What would you suggest? Someone said that the coolant sensor may be the problem, but the car is not over heating. The car is a...

496 penal code of California [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My friend has been locked up for 9 months charged with the 496 penal code, reciving stolen property. He hasn't been sentenced yet, didn't go to trial! I was wondering why it takes so long and if there's a chance that he could get out! Should he have hope? The stolen property was way over 5000...

View more questions Search