Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steele12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Emancipation
    OK I'm going to be 16 in like 8 months I haven't lived with my parents for the past 2 years. I have been living with my grandparents. Im not at their house very much I pretty much only sleep and shower here. So would it be easy for me to get the courts to emancipate me when I turn 16?I have a job and my own car. I am paying for my own car and I have had a job since I was 14 and kept them until I found better ones.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
    No, they may site your parents and/or grandparents for neglect and put you in foster care.

With many things, are you working, can you afford rent, do you still go to school.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 06:36 PM
    At age 16, no doubt you are still in school. It'd probably be pretty hard to convince a court to emancipate you at such a young age, even though you're working and paying for your own car. When emancipated, you have to show that you are capable of paying for all of your living expenses (housing, medical, food, utilities, etc.), not just car expenses. A better option might be to have your grandparents named as your legal guardians. If the court decides that that's in your best interests then that's a feasible option.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 13, 2008, 12:15 AM

You you may have to wait but do your research in your area call the court house where you live and ask for a court liaison that can help you and they can tell you your rights and the laws in your area...

Be careful and safe
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishelly3 View Post
    ya you may have to wait but do your research in your area call the court house where you live and ask for a court liason that can help you and they can tell you your rights and the laws in your area...

Be careful and safe

You have re-opened a January 2007 thread - thread should be closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need some emancipation... [ 4 Answers ]

My cousin wants to get out of her house (one way or another), and live with her dad. Of course, her parents are divorced. So, should she emancipate or get her dad to go to court? Also, she's 14, soon to turn 15 in July. She says she wants to get out as soon as possible. We live in Georgia, and I'm...

Emancipation [ 3 Answers ]

Daughter is 20 years old. We still pay child support to her mother. She is in college. Full time student. We furnish car, insurance, clothes, tuition, spending money EVERYTHING for her. She lives on campus and attends school during summer. We will continue to pay for school etc. When can we...

Emancipation [ 2 Answers ]

How old does a minor have to be in the state of Indiana to emancipate themselves?

Emancipation [ 1 Answers ]

My grand-daughter is 17yrs. And 4mos. Old who wishes to be emancipated from her mother we suggested that she live with us to stop the tension, but her mother refuses to allow this because she says its something that the daughter wants. So my question is what can she do? She wants to stay with us...

Emancipation [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I was wondering if in South Dakota you can get emancipated before you are 16. Because in march I'll be 15 and I was wondering if I can get emancipated without my parents concent? Mainly because I really don't like it here with my parents they just seem to make my life worse and I was just...

View more questions Search