Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2010, 09:34 AM
    Mythology and Credibility
    Hello:

There's a lot of belief's out there... What I want you to concentrate on, is a belief shared by OTHERS, that you think is absolutely ridiculous. Let's say it's the Easter Bunny, or the tooth fairy, or Thor who rides his chariot across the sky... I don't care what it is, as long as it's a belief you DON'T share...

Ok, let's say that there's this person who is VERY credible on the subject of the economy, for example.. He ALSO believes that he was abducted by aliens, and probed by their tools... If you believe in aliens doing that, think of another one...

Anyway, back to this guy, who seems credible on the one hand, but is an absolute loon on the other. Do you believe him about economic matters - or ANYTHING at all? Does his looniness on ONE matter effect whether you believe him on another?

excon
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2010, 09:46 AM

I would say in most cases it doesn't really affect it, like in your case. However something like a young earther biologist is someone I would be very skeptical of, they can't possibly understand important facts like evolution because they're looking at everything from the wrong angle.

In my short career so far, I've met a few christian scientists (not people who study "christian science", but people who study science and are christian), and most of them seem to have their head screwed on and always take into account physical fact. However they also believe there's an invisible old man in the sky, but they don't let the two cross. Fact is more important.

I think in general people are very good at compartmentalizing, it's just you have to be wary of the ones where there could be some cross over between what they are telling you, and what craziness they believe.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    I think in general people are very good at compartmentalizing, it's just you have to be wary of the ones where there could be some cross over between what they are telling you, and what craziness they believe.
    Hello again, Cappy:

People may SAY they can separate this from that. They may even think they can, and they may look like they do. But, I don't think it's possible... If a person would base SOME of his conclusions on groundless speculation (blind faith), then I can't imagine him not doing it whenever the need arose. Even if he didn't, how would you know when that is?

excon
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 27, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

There's a lot of belief's out there... What I want you to concentrate on, is a belief shared by OTHERS, that you think is absolutely ridiculous. Let's say it's the Easter Bunny, or the tooth fairy, or Thor who rides his chariot across the sky... I don't care what it is, as long as it's a belief you DON'T share...

excon
    Hi ex,

Hope you had an enjoyable Christmas.

I might be able to help you with the first part of your question.

Psychologist Carl Jung attempted to explain mythologies such as chariots across the sky and snakes eating their own tails in terms of archetypes. These are symbols of thoughts that Jung believed were passed on through genetics. Much in the same way as hair colour is passed on through generations.

Jung would say that creation myths are an excellent example of archetypes. Every society regardless of time or place has a creation myth. Basically, Jung believes that individual consciousness is really a single universal consciousness which we all participate in. He sees this universal consciousness as playing a significant role in how humans have developed throughout history.

I am not sure if these ideas say something about Jung himself or say something about psychology.

Regards

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Greek mythology god Hades [ 1 Answers ]

I am in fifth grade and have to a report and activity to the class about Hades. I need ideas about activities to do with the class for Hades. Thanks.

Is there any mythology colleges? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm 13 years old. And I'm really into mythology, folklore, demons and all that stuff. I was wondering if there are any colleges or university that study that type of stuff.

Olbermannn slams Obama's loss of credibility [ 9 Answers ]

Daily Kos: State of the Nation How dare Olbermann point out the difference between rhetoric and action ! How dare he point out Obama's flip flops or the fact that Obama is WORSE than Bush on "illegal spying." Funny thing is that Olbermann is far left and you get this from the Obots

Does child support ruin my credibility for certain jobs? [ 10 Answers ]

She is so difficult to deal with. She stopped me from visiting my son and cut off evry conversation. The next thing I know, she taken me to court for child support. I am a full time student and an immigrant. I survive on substitute teaching which is inconsistent plus my career aims at becoming a...

Research on Greek Mythology [ 20 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have to write a 2000-2500 word research paper in one of my classes and I was wondering if Greek Mythology would be a good topic. I'm really interested in this subject but after awhile, I was thinking that maybe it was too broad. I want to narrow it down but I'm not sure to what....

View more questions Search