Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yigito Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 01:39 AM
    Pooping and urinating in the crate during the night or while we're out.
    Hi,
    My puppy is 10 weeks and a coupe of days old. Had his second shot so he has another week before he's allowed outside. So far the daily bowl movement and urinating works fine with training pads close to the garden door with small accidents here and there. During the day we do not use the crate uness we leave the house and he seeps or lays down in his bed. The problem is at night when we put him in his crate and he fouls during the night despite the fact that we make him do both before putting in the crate. He's last meal is at 6pm. I was told that by now he shoud be able to hold it until the morning. What do we do?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 26, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Like babies, puppies are all going to have variations. Bear with it, keep him active if you can in the evening before bed to stimulate his intestines, maybe reduce his evening meal and increase the first one, let him sleep near enough to you to reduce anxiety, etc. I found that the old Baby Ben clock ticking worked very well to soothe a puppy to sleep way back when. If you just got him, he's still nervous about being alone.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 02:36 PM

At 10 weeks of age, no, he can't hold it all night.

Most dogs don't have full control of their bladders and bowels until at least 4 months of age.

If you hear him crying in the middle of the night, go to him and take him out. He may not cry though, because he doesn't yet understand what you want of him.

How big is his crate? It should be just big enough for him to stand and turn around. Any bigger and he will likely have accidents.

Also, are you training him to potty outdoors or with pee pads? You have to choose one, otherwise you're just confusing him. With pee pads accidents do occur. Pee pads are the worst invention ever made (IMO). The dog can't understand why it's okay to pee on the pad but not the carpet that feels just like the pad.

All in all, a little more patience while he's still a pup. Consistency is key. Either outdoors, or indoors. If you choose indoors on a pee pad, be prepared for accidents.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beagle peeing in crate at night or when left during the day in crate [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have a similar problem... I agree with the tough love for now and I do have a steel crate. My problem is that I got a big one and I have my 3 month beagle peeing in it at night or when I leave her in the crate to go out. I do not leave her for a long time. Sometimes I only leave her for...

Puppy pooping and peeing in crate only at night [ 16 Answers ]

I have a 10 week Papillon that I have been trying to potty train. I have had success with my 2 year old Maltese, but struggling with my new puppy. I have chosen to train him on a pad. He is only in the crate for a short period, if I am not able to keep watch of him. Otherwise he is always with...

Puppy pooping in crate at night [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old Yorkie, Chihuahua mix that we have had for about a month now. The first few weeks went the same as house breaking any new puppy, with him having accidents in the house, but over time started happening less often. But then we went out of town for a week and left him at a Kennel...

14 week old puppy started pooping in crate at night? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a choc. Lab puppy. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old. He has NEVER pooped in the crate. That was until this last week. Now, almost every night he is pooping in the crate. We have changed nothing. He is a healthy puppy. He is walked nightly before we go to bed and gets up with...

9 week old puppy pooping at night (in crate) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. We have had our little mini-schnauzer for a week now. She is doing very well during the day, but night time is becoming a problem. She has started pooping 3 or 4 times at night... the problem is that she doesn't whine until she's already soiled her crate. Her last meal is at 5:00, and we...

View more questions Search