Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    makendree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Ceiling painted then pop corned. How do I remove pop corn and paint?
    Drywall ceiling was painted, then some time later it was pop corn textured. When removing the pop corn, the paint under the pop corn is hard to scrape off. When repainting over the old paint, the old paint peals back all over the place. What can I do to get the old paint off so I can mud some of the dings in the drywall and repaint it?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2010, 10:35 AM
    The only right way is to scrape and sand the old finish back to the drywall base. Not easy and some people have used 1/4 drywall over the old ceilings to get a good base. You can possibly rent a Porter Cable drywall sander. It has a rotating head sander and vacuum system and would probably accomplish the task.
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Dec 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
    I own a rental property with popcorn ceilings. I'm dreading the day if I ever have to remove that stuff! I did look into it though... just in case. I was told the popcorn is water soluble. So, you need to scrape as much off as you can dry with a variety of putty knives, then dampen the reside and carefully scrape the remainder off being careful not gouge the drywall paper surface. Once it's dry it will still need a sanding to totally remove all traces. I was also told it's very messy and you should empty the rooms of furniture and spread tarps to protect the flooring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove pop-up shower drain? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a pop-up drain type that I'd like to replace but cannot figure out how to remove it or for that matter if its even possible to replace it. Please help, thanks. Jeff

I can't remove pop-up stopper from sink [ 11 Answers ]

I just replaced my bathroom centerset faucet and all went well... until it came to replacing the pop up stopper apparatus. I could loosen the nut that holds the apparatus securely to the sink, but I can't remove the apparatus entirely. As you can see from the pictures, the old apparatus is made...

How do I remove pop up ad spam? Ran Adware [ 1 Answers ]

Have an annoying popup screen all the time: Ascentive Performance Center which AOL has determined to be spam, ran Adware, & McAffe twice but is still there, any ideas how to manually remove it? Thanks Bob

Pop corn [ 3 Answers ]

Pop corn.. good or bad for weight loss? How do you calculate the calories for pop corn?

Cleaning or painting pop corn ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter has a rental house that she is trying to get in shape to put on the market to sell. The last tenant destroyed it. The whole house has pop corn ceiling and some of it is very dirty. Can it be painted or cleaned? She is doing the work herself so she needs a easy and quick way to do it....

View more questions Search