Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susus Posts: 138, Reputation: 2

Dec 25, 2010, 01:26 AM
    Spring Constant A thin uniform rod has mass M = 0.5 kg and length L= 0.37 m. It ha
    Spring Constant
    A thin uniform rod has mass M = 0.5 kg and length L= 0.37 m. It has a pivot at one end and is at rest on a compressed spring as shown in (A). The rod is released from an angle θ1= 55.0o, and moves through its horizontal position at (B) and up to (C) where it stops with θ2 = 111.0o, and then falls back down. Friction at the pivot is negligible. Calculate the speed of the CM at (B).

(in m/s)

this is what I tried..

ranslational kinetic energy
    TKE = 0.5mV^2

Angular kinetic energy
    AKE = 0.5Iω^2

Where ω = Vsin(θ)/(L/2)

At (C) the rod has gravitational kinetic energy (GPE)
    GPE = mgh

where h = L(cos(θ2) - cos(θ3))/2

ENERGY(B) = ENERGY(C)
    0.5mV^2 + 0.5Iω^2 = mgh
    0.5m(L(sin(θ2))^2/3 + 1)V^2 = 0.5mLg(cos(θ2) - cos(θ3))

V^2 = Lg(cos(θ2) - cos(θ3))/(L(sin(θ2))^2/3 + 1)

θ2 = 90
    θ3 = 111
    L = 0.37 m
    g = 9.81 m/s^2

V^2 = 1.158
    V = 1.076 m/s

but it's wrong :(:(:( I can not know why !

Check out some similar questions!

The position of a mass that is oscillating on a spring is given by (15.9 cm) [ 3 Answers ]

The position of a mass that is oscillating on a spring is given by (15.9 cm) because . What is frequency of this motion?

You make a spring wave with a wavelength of 1.5m. You Shake the spring with a frequen [ 1 Answers ]

You make a spring wave with a wavelength of 1.5m. You Shake the spring with a frequency of 2hz. The speed of the wave is (you have to slove it or fill in the blank I don't get it T.T HELP)

To recover the rod I managed to lose 4 rod inside the drain [ 8 Answers ]

I am embarrassed to confess but I managed to leave 4 nos of drain clearing rods with a disk in front of them. Please do not publicly make fun of me but it happened. (It is OK you can lough as much as you can by yourself with your mates but no humiliating jokes on here, PLEASE) Any idea how to...

Charged object with mass in uniform electric field. [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to relate these things together? Uniform electric field (given) Charged object (charge given) in that electric field w/a mass... must be found when the object is "floating" on the field ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.