Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 23, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Pet door in rural area?
    Do any of you have pet doors in areas with lots of other critters, and do they stay out?
    I would latch it at night and sometimes during the day.
    For a Jack Russell and a cat.
    Keeping mice out so far has been impossible anyway, since they can fit through a quarter size opening, on it's flat side, LOL.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 06:35 AM

Hi joy, I had a problem with racoons when I had a pet door. Was not accessible all the time, but it came into my kitchen (I live in semi rural area on the outskirts of a small town). They are very resourceful and always ready to try anything where they smell food. I opted for just letting cat and dog out the door.

Tick
    current pert

Dec 23, 2010, 07:14 AM
    Thanks tick. Now that I think about it, our local paper is full of stories of raccoons getting through pet doors. The dog barks but the cat refuses to meow. We have plenty of glass but I have to be looking for her. Maybe I'll try some bells hanging down and see if I can teach her to make noise that way.

Supposedly my parents (in this house) put their cat out every night of the year, in a basket house, unheated. I can't believe it. The cat hunted and lived a very long life. I just can't do that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 08:49 AM

It is not just a rural issue, there are 1000's of little critters in major urban areas.

They do make pet doors that the pet wears a special collar, the door will not open without that collar
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 02:19 PM

Yup raccoons are a major issue;

YouTube - Take a thieving Raccoon, Dog and a Cat..

I'd rather just open the door to let the pets out. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2010, 05:28 PM

We almost had a very unlucky cat here.
    We have a door between out kitchen and laundry and then another door between the laundry and backyard.
    The laundry/backyard door has a pet flap on it.

Well... I let the dogs out for a pee one day , just flung the door open and walked off, they started going absolutely mental in the laundry, I could also hear this strange growling noise.

A neighborhood cat had come through to dog door and curled up on a pile of washing to have a snooze.

I raced back out and in a panic threw the dogs outside.

Well problem, was I now had the dogs outside blocking the angry cats only escape route.

Long story short the cat was actually quite friendly and I carried him out the front door to safety before I let the dogs back in.

This was months ago and Prada (poodle) still checks to see if there are any cats before she goes outside :D
    current pert

Dec 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    So funny.
    I forgot too that years ago I lived in an old house that raccoons ripped off the metal flashing we NAILED on to keep them out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get some help from the humane society or spca in a rural area? [ 19 Answers ]

I have come across some animals who are in a bad situation. They are located in a rural area and each humanes society or spca I call tell me that its not their duristiction. Who is responsible for saving animals in rural areas from animal cruelty? How do I help these animals before they get...

Door for furnace area [ 2 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and I want to know What kind of door do I need for around the furnace? I know I need fireproof sheetrock which I bought, but I don't know what kind of door do I need. I was told a wood door it's OK as long as it has ventilation(bifold door), Is this right? I'm confuse...

A pet owner's refrigerator and front door note. [ 1 Answers ]

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE PETS, THIS IS A TRUE STORY. FOR THOSE THAT DON'T, IT IS A TRUE STORY. The following was found posted very low on a refrigerator door. Dear Dogs and Cats: The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food....

How to start up a band instrument repair shop in a rural area? [ 9 Answers ]

Okay everyone. This is a long string of answers. If you can offer info on one, most of or all of my questions I will be very appreciative. Any feed back would be of some help too. My husband has been in the band instrument repair business for decades, yet he has always been the background of the...

Pet Door [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a cinder block house and want to cut out a hole for my cat pet door. Can I do this if the wall is not a load bearing one?:confused: Jansbear

View more questions Search